file Xipe Totec & React with Conviction (Sebastian Goulet, Puppeteer, Xeper, Sultan of Lepers)

20 Oct 2013 18:55 - 07 Jan 2014 11:30 #55508 by jamesatzephyr
Not so much a rules question as a rules answer. This came up on #vtes and the answer was: a) not obvious to everyone and b) something of a surprise.

A Puppeteer (or Sebastian, or Xipe Totec) takes its built-in action to steal an Imbued. The Imbued wants to foil this with React with Conviction. What happens?

[LSJ 20060425]

witness1 wrote:
> So, if I burn the React With Conviction as the Puppeteer's action is
> announced, it cancels his action, leaving him untapped and ready to
> perform his action, effectively doing nothing but burning a conviction,
> right?
Correct.

Just like burning RwC to cancel a Far Mastery leaves the acting vampire
untapped and ready to perform another (if there's another in his hand).

And later [LSJ 20060425] (another one the same day):

Emiliano Imeroni wrote:
> Ah, so RwC cancels the whole action, not only the "effect" as stated
> in the text. Good to know. And apologies for my wrong answer above.
It cancels the effect, as stated.

The effect of an action is the action.
Canceling that action as it is announced means the action isn't taken.

Note that because the action never resolved (or even started), there is no NRA taint applied to the acting minion. So they can try it again.

The moral of the story is: burning your React with Conviction may be a good idea if you think the steal will go through eventually (because they get an Imbued without Convictions it can spend on using its powers), but it won't stop the action being attempted if the Methuselah cares to announce it again.

Puppeteer (Wraith)
Wraith with 1 life. 1 strength, 0 bleed.
[nec] The puppeteer can give you control of an ally or a vampire with capacity of less than 5 for the remainder of your turn as a (D) action

Sebastian Goulet: Merged
[MERGED] He can steal a retainer or an ally as a +1 stealth (D) action.

Xipe Totec
Xipe can steal a retainer or an ally as a +1 stealth (D) action that costs 1 blood.

Xeper, Sultan of Lepers
He may steal an ally controlled by another Methuselah as a (D) action.

React with Conviction
When an effect that would change control of this imbued is played or announced, you may burn this card to cancel that effect. Burn this card to cancel either a (D) action against this imbued that requires Chimerstry [chi] , Dementation [dem] , Dominate [dom] , Presence
 , or Serpentis [ser] or a strike card that requires any of those Disciplines played by a minion opposing this imbued as it is announced. No cost is paid.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 11:30 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Pascal Bertrand, D-dennis, self biased

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2014 02:45 #59233 by librarian
Thanks James, good to know. (coming from another thread more timely)
How do their various abilities interact with Hide?
www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?lib=1651

I'd assume since Hide causes the action to fail, they can't attempt again.

Hide

[Power] Power

[Innocence] Innocence

Not usable by an imbued with Illuminate.
[ACTION MODIFIER] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable as the action is announced. Monsters get -1 intercept against this action.
[REACTION] [1 CONVICTION] Only usable during a monster's (D) action targeting this imbued. The action fails.

The surgical strike is better. Do damage. Disappear. Repeat.
Joshua God45 Matthews, Wayward

Artist(s): Peter Bergting

Set(s): NoR:R

More
18 Feb 2014 05:20 #59235 by Juggernaut1981
The action is forced to resolve as a failure (by the text of Hide) so the action would gain NRA-taint.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
18 Feb 2014 07:52 #59238 by jamesatzephyr
Additionally, "action fails" means the action was properly started (tapping the minion). So - absent some other special effect, like Alexandra - the acting minion will be tapped at this point too.

Cancelling the announcement outright (as with React) means the acting minion won't be tapped, as per the 2006 ruling given.
The following user(s) said Thank You: librarian

More
18 Feb 2014 21:44 #59258 by librarian
Awesome, Hide > React with Conviction in terms of defending vs Ally steal.
I am glad of this discussion, I had forgotten the other clause on RWC, which this thread has reminded me of. RwC cancels a strike that requires the above disciplines. That is really good (goodbye Majesty). Take that Eyes of the Serpent!

Eyes of the Serpent
[Action Modifier] Action Modifier
[Combat] Combat

[Serpentis] Serpentis

[ser] This acting minion cannot be blocked by allies until the end of this action.
[SER] Strike: combat ends. Only usable in combat with an ally.

More
18 Feb 2014 22:34 #59259 by jamesatzephyr

I am glad of this discussion, I had forgotten the other clause on RWC, which this thread has reminded me of. RwC cancels a strike that requires the above disciplines. That is really good (goodbye Majesty).

Approach with caution. React with Conviction - and other ways of cancelling a strike, such as Watenda or DI or The Jones or Charismatic Aura - do not leave the opponent without a strike. The minion must strike, as normal, and if they have a second copy of the same strike, they can play it if they want to. Or they could choose another similar strike. So it's not a complete solution to hating Majesty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: librarian

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds