file Submission: Melee weapon enhancers

24 Oct 2013 11:03 - 24 Oct 2013 11:12 #55632 by jamesatzephyr
So recently, we had people suggesting that melee weapons might suck a bit and benefit from something to improve them , but which didn't also make guns super, super awesome.

I've had a few ideas rattling round in the back of my head for a while, and thought I'd share them, and see if they sparked any ideas for anyone else.

Quick points:
  • Obviously, anything requiring a melee weapon becomes quite easily playable with Weighted Walking Stick. That might be a problem, but it might not.
  • I'm not suggesting all the cards should get into the game. It's entirely feasible that you could cherry pick one or two.
  • The fencing names were chosen so that a barely-sentient snake in a leather jacket on a bike can be a fencing master with a baseball bat, for added WoD immersion.

I wanted to find something along the lines of Supressing Fire (this minion with a melee weapon helps his mate by...), but couldn't find anything that quite felt right. Maybe a Bodyguard or something (give a friend extra intercept, tap to prevent some damage?). Nothing felt quite right - why do I need a melee weapon to be a bodyguard? why not a gun? why not my claws? But maybe something along those lines.

Game need: melee weapons need a shot in the arm.

Art notes: most of them fit some sort of sword play situation. A guy thwacking a guy with a sword, an axe smacking into a quarterstaff, that sort of thing.

Maestro
Master: archetype. Trifle.
Put this card on a ready vampire you control. This vampire has +1 strength when striking with a melee weapon. In combat, if this vampire chooses a melee weapon strike and the opponent ends combat as a strike, you may tap this card (after combat ends) to deal two unpreventable damage to the opponent. A vampire may have only one archetype.

The hope was to give some anti-S:CE tech, without it being totally cookie cutter.

Balestra
Combat
Requires a melee weapon
Strike: +1 damage with a melee weapon, with an optional maneuver, usable only to maneuver to close range

Obvious utility.

Sparring Partner
Action Modifier, 1 blood
Usable after a successful action to equip a melee weapon.
Search your hand, library and/or ash-heap for another copy of the same [implicitly non-unique] melee weapon, and select another ready vampire you control. That vampire equips the second copy of the melee weapon (meeting requirements and paying costs as normal); this is not an action.

Make equipping extra weapons less bothersome, but see En Garde below.

En Garde
+1 stealth action
(D) This vampire enters combat with a ready minion controlled by your predator or prey. Additionally, if this vampire does not possess a melee weapon, choose a non-unique melee weapon in your hand or ash-heap. If this action is successful, this vampire equips that melee weapon (paying costs and meeting requirements as usual), before combat begins.

Also make equipping weapons less bothersome. When you already have a weapon, it's a rush that's still potentially interesting (+1 stealth, minion doesn't need to be tapped) but less versatile than other rushes (predator/prey only, no maneuver etc.)

Touche
Combat
Requires a melee weapon.
Only usable at the end of a round in which this vampire successfully inflicted 2 or more damage with a melee weapon on an opposing minion. That minion's controller discards two cards at random (redraw afterwards). A minion can play only one Touche per round.

Touche is the one I'm least happy with - I wanted to find something that was "This vampire has inflicted some damage, so get a nice bonus" along the lines of Disarm or Pulled Fangs. Card discarding is mechanically a somewhat novel angle for combat, but I'm not sure it's doing anything compelling.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 11:12 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2013 12:36 #55636 by Klaital
En Garde is way too strong, stealth rush with no requirements at all, and isn't even restricted at all in what minions it can rush (barring silly cross table shennanigans), AND it also works as a concealed weapon on top of that. That would basically wallpaper all the other rushes with no requirements even if you don't have any melee weapons in your deck.

More
24 Oct 2013 13:07 - 24 Oct 2013 18:43 #55638 by Ankha
The real problem is that melee weapons suck for their cost when compared with guns.
I would nerf the cards so they make melee weapons easier to retrieve.

Eg.

Maestro
Master: archetype. Trifle.
Put this card on a ready vampire you control. This vampire gets first strike when striking with a melee weapon. This vampire can burn this card to search your library for a melee weapon and equip it as a +1 stealth action

Burning the card is part of the cost and doesn't happen if blocked.
Inflicting +1 damage with melee weapon or striking with first strike can be two options.

Balestra
Combat
Requires a melee weapon
Strike: +2 damage with a melee weapon, with an optional maneuver, usable only to maneuver to close range

I tweaked it because it was weak because of his opportunity cost. And ammo do better.

Sparring Partner
Action Modifier, 1 blood
Usable after a successful action to equip a non-unique melee weapon. Only usable by a ready untappd vampire other than the acting minion you control.
Search your hand, library and/or ash-heap for another copy of the same melee weapon. This vampire taps and equips the second copy of the melee weapon (requirements and cost apply as normal; shuffle afterward).

Would make it an action modifier played by another vampire for simplicity.

En Garde
+1 stealth action
(D) This vampire enters combat with a ready minion controlled by your predator or prey. Additionally, if this vampire does not possess a melee weapon, choose a non-unique melee weapon in your hand or ash-heap. If this action is successful, this vampire equips that melee weapon (paying costs and meeting requirements as usual), before combat begins.

Also make equipping weapons less bothersome. When you already have a weapon, it's a rush that's still potentially interesting (+1 stealth, minion doesn't need to be tapped) but less versatile than other rushes (predator/prey only, no maneuver etc.)

It can be a good idea, but the card is overpowered as it is.
EDIT: I missed the intent that was that the card can't be used without weapons.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 18:43 by Ankha.

More
24 Oct 2013 14:20 - 24 Oct 2013 14:44 #55639 by jamesatzephyr

En Garde is way too strong, stealth rush with no requirements at all, and isn't even restricted at all in what minions it can rush (barring silly cross table shennanigans), AND it also works as a concealed weapon on top of that.

What I'm trying to do is strike a balance between a card that would be good to start with and a card that's still usable in the late game. So many submissions are things like "This would be awesome if it turns up in your first 15 cards, but to do that you have to stack 6-8 of them, and the other 5-7 are going to make you stab yourself in the face, over and over."

(I'm not saying I've succeeded.)

That would basically wallpaper all the other rushes with no requirements even if you don't have any melee weapons in your deck.

If you don't have any melee weapons in your deck (and therefore in your hand or ash heap, or already equipped), you can't play the card. If you don't have a melee weapon already equipped, the Concealed Weapon aspect isn't worded as being optional. (This was intentional.)

One thing I did consider was making it only +1 stealth when it was also an equip action, but that felt a bit clumsy. And I was wary of removing the stealth entirely, because various decks that would like melee weapons lack any significant stealth (or other options). But +1 stealth only on the equip might be doable. Or possibly restrict the rush - prey only, untapped only, tapped only, something like that.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 14:44 by jamesatzephyr.

More
24 Oct 2013 15:50 #55643 by ReverendRevolver
The problem i see is melee weapons suck against combat ends and grapple. Grapple is good against sce, psyche trumps sce, but unless you use a deck just geared toward j's axe, argent baton, crimson sentinle, and or banshee ironwail, and probably using celerity and fortitude on assamites, i really would ALWAYS rather use a gun. A 44, to be precise. Any improvements to melee combat has to:
A. Be able to deal with sce
B. Be able to not suck against grapple
C. Be at least as good a choice as a 44

The only non unique melee weapon worth running is wws. I use meat hook alot as well. I feel its the best melee weapon you can conceal out.

Now, a strike like:
Cleaving Blow:
Strike with a melee weapon for strength +1 damage. Alternately, strike with a melee weapon and if the opposing minion is striking to end combat, they get no initial strike this round, and use an additional strike to end combat.
If the opposing minion plays a card restricting your choice of strikes, you may still strike with this melee weapon at-1 strength.

But, its a subject we could work on.

More
24 Oct 2013 16:53 #55649 by AaronC
James, I like your ideas. This is the natural and necessary direction of melee weapon combat.

Maestro: I like Ankha's edit, but really Ankha's and James's versions do two different things. Melee weapons still need an answer to S:CE. Potence is the natural adjunct to melee weapons, but Potence's answer to S:CE is Immortal Grapple, which doesn't go with melee weapons. Therefore you either need a melee weapon master or generic minion card that deals with S:CE like James's or you need a Potence card that allows a vampire to get past S:CE and strike with a melee weapon.

(Valeren and Quietus also have a melee weapon focus, but !Salubri have Telepathic Tracking and Assamites have Psyche!.)

Balestra: I've often thought that there should be melee weapons that offer a maneuver to close. This is needed. However, the problem is costing. Giving the balestra +2 damage is way too much or would cost too much. It would a minimum of 2 pool. It's the old problem you see with the guns and the fact that some should really have fractional blood costs.

Maybe we also have to re-examine the costing of other melee weapons. Perhaps Bastard Sword/Butcher Knife should be free, Balestra costs one and then go from there. I know, I know, we can't possibly errata cards, of course, whatevs.

Sparring Partner: nice. I'm not sure I agree with Ankha's suggestion. Why tap the second vampire? As is, there's a significant opportunity cost. You have to have the Sparring Partner card and 2 melee weapons in hand. WWS doesn't require an action to equip and can't be blocked, so Sparring Partner should give a substantive advantage.

En garde: I agree that +1 stealth is too strong. Either a +0 rush with an optional equip or a +1 stealth rush for a minion that already has a melee weapon.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds