question-circle Misattributed Artwork

19 Jan 2012 17:23 #21232 by echiang
I was just working on updating the VTES Artwork Database and encountered another interesting mistake in card attribution.

Fee Stake: Los Angeles was originally done by Jeff Holt in the Anarchs expansion (who also did Fee Stake: Corte) which can be seen on the Anarchs version of the card. In the newer promo version, the attribution is now to Brian LeBlanc (who did do Fee Stakes: Perth and Seattle).

Fee Stake: Los Angeles definitely looks more similar in style to Corte than to Perth and Seattle. And remember that back in the NAC 2006, it was part of the series of "Jeff Holt originals" given as tournament prizes by Jeff Thompson.

This isn't the first time they've made mistakes (Camarilla Charming Lobby was initially attributed to Brian LeBlanc, though they corrected it to Steve Prescott in later printings).

Just an interesting tidbit to share. (And maybe Pascal can change the official card text list with the correct artist!).

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, extrala, Dorrinal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2012 06:52 #22232 by echiang
Replied by echiang on topic Re: Misattributed Artwork
Two additional details I discovered while recently updating the Artwork Database:

1. The official card list only lists a single artist (Corey Macourek) for Bribes. Corey Macourek did the version that was first introduced in Sabbat, but there was also a Jyhad version with artwork by Mark Poole.

2. Stake / Wooden Stake was done by David Roach & Pete Burges. At some point, the art attribution was changed to only Pete Burges. The Black Hand version has both artists, but the Third Edition and KoT versions do not credit David Roach's contribution. Also, I see that the official card list has a semicolon ";" between the two artists when it should probably be an ampersand "&".

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Feb 2012 10:55 #22236 by Pascal Bertrand
If you can give me a list of "Artist listed in the csv // Real artist" (including the "Larry Schnelly" stuff), I'll gladly update the csv.

More
02 Feb 2012 15:38 #22241 by echiang

If you can give me a list of "Artist listed in the csv // Real artist" (including the "Larry Schnelly" stuff), I'll gladly update the csv.

Thanks Pascal.

I imagine it will be an "ongoing project" (because there's plenty of it) that will take some time, but I can send occasional updates.

I also wonder whether it is worth streamlining cases where an artist is attributed in different ways "Lawrence Snelly" vs "Larry Snelly," and "Matthew Mitchell" vs "Matt Mitchell." It looks like things have already been adjusted (in the official card list) for "Rebecca Guay Mitchell," and "Jeff el jefe Holt".

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Feb 2012 22:44 #22263 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Misattributed Artwork

I also wonder whether it is worth streamlining cases where an artist is attributed in different ways "Lawrence Snelly" vs "Larry Snelly," and "Matthew Mitchell" vs "Matt Mitchell." It looks like things have already been adjusted (in the official card list) for "Rebecca Guay Mitchell," and "Jeff el jefe Holt".

Artists on the official card list should be attributed EXACTLY as they are printed on the actual card, otherwise the list is worthless.

If you, Eric, want to make another list somewhere that equates misspelled/odd/funny artist names with their actual, RL counterparts, feel free.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 Feb 2012 00:24 #22267 by echiang

Artists on the official card list should be attributed EXACTLY as they are printed on the actual card, otherwise the list is worthless.

What happens if different versions of the same card attribute things differently? Should it have both versions? The earlier one? The latest one?

As mentioned, the official card list already does not include variations like Rebecca Guay Mitchell or Jeff "el Jefe" Holt.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds