file Funeral wake and Nephran-Ka

06 Nov 2014 00:38 #67245 by ReverendRevolver
Just to clarify how I read this, Nephran-Ka(or Kerebutu, or the sun pharoah) can (even while tapped) play funeral wake to untap themselves, right?

Akhenaten, The Sun Pharaoh (Mummy)

Unique mummy with 3 life. 3 strength, 1

Ally

bleed. Akhenaten may play cards requiring basic Necromancy as a vampire with a capacity of 3. If a card would give him blood, give him life. If he is burned, shuffle him into your library. If he is in combat with a Follower of Set, any damage he inflicts is aggravated. Akhenaten can burn himself to burn a Follower of Set controlled by your prey as a (D) action.

Nephren-Ka

Unique mummy with 5 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed. Nephren-Ka may enter combat with a ready minion as a (D) action. He may prevent 1 non-aggravated damage each combat. He may play cards that require basic Necromancy as a vampire. If he is burned, shuffle him into his owner's library.

Funeral Wake

Usable by a tapped vampire. Untap a mummy, wraith, or zombie ally you control. Untap up to two mummy, wraith, or zombie allies you control.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2014 03:42 #67247 by brandonsantacruz
I was just thinking about this today- mummies with necromany playing Funeral Wake to untap themselves (or others). I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
06 Nov 2014 05:09 #67248 by ReverendRevolver

I was just thinking about this today- mummies with necromany playing Funeral Wake to untap themselves (or others). I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Yea, thats how Im seeing it. Or, I suppose to untap a zombie or pontirculous, but Nephran-ka is a badass, and not having the DNU clause from on the q is handy.
Also, these 3 mummies are the only minions in vtes I can see playing blight. To them, it means trap and beat face, where vampires have good cards they can play.

Next step is cutting the sun pharoah into imbued and having him churn out shamblers (or not ;) )

More
06 Nov 2014 08:13 #67249 by Ankha

Just to clarify how I read this, Nephran-Ka(or Kerebutu, or the sun pharoah) can (even while tapped) play funeral wake to untap themselves, right?

Correct. They play the card as a vampire and see themselves as mummies.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
19 Nov 2014 16:20 - 19 Nov 2014 16:21 #67490 by jamesatzephyr

No.

When a "pseudo-vampire" ally plays Funeral Wake as a vampire, Funeral Wake sees the pseudo-vampire as a vampire for all parts of the play and resolution of the card. So when you're announcing the targets for Funeral Wake played by Akhenaten, Funeral Wake sees him as a vampire, so he is not a legal target for Funeral Wake.

The precedent here is Bima, with a Charming Lobby, calling Kindred Segregation. For play, resolution (including the referendum) and lingering effect, the Bima is seen by Kindred Segregation (and Charming Lobby) as a vampire, so doesn't burn. If reading the following thread, be careful, as it's the discussion that led up to the rules changing from "play+resolve sees you as a vampire" to "play+resolve+lingering effect sees you as a vampire", but that difference is irrelevant for these puroposes.

[LSJ 20060503]

> When Bima calls a PA by means of Charming Lobby and the referendum
> fails reacting players are not allowed to play Political Backlash?

Correct. This will not change under the proposal discussed in this
thread.

> When Bima calls a Kindred Segregation and it passes then Bima is
> excempt from effects both from the result of the referendum as
> well as a reacting minion playing Treachery?

Correct. This will not change under the proposal discussed in this
thread.

(The reason that Political Backlash and Treachery don't work is that they target a vampire. Since they're not being played using the ally's "as a vampire" trick, they see Bima as an ally.)

They play the card as a vampire and see themselves as mummies.

But Funeral Wake sees them as a vampire, and since Funeral Wake can only target cards it sees as allies, a mummy playing Funeral Wake "as a vampire" is a vampire for play, resolution and lingering effect purposes.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2014 16:21 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot, brandonsantacruz, PetriWessman, ReverendRevolver

More
19 Nov 2014 19:28 #67495 by ReverendRevolver
Ok.

"As a _______" makes the card being played see the ally as ______ from the time it leaves the hand until it has resolved. Glad that was established before I made a deck.....

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds