file Toreador Grand Ball/Mask of 1000 Faces

23 Sep 2015 19:35 #73292 by Kushiel
If a vampire is unblockable due to a Toreador Grand Ball in play, may a different vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces to take over the action once everyone has declared no blocks?

I think the answer is no, but I'm checking here to see what the current ruling is - searching showed me multiple, conflicting rulings, and the links on the Card Rulings page for Mask lead to a generic Google Groups page, not actual newsgroup posts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2015 05:49 #73298 by Ankha

If a vampire is unblockable due to a Toreador Grand Ball in play, may a different vampire play Mask of 1000 Faces to take over the action once everyone has declared no blocks?

Yes.
There is no difference between:
- target Methuselah declines to block because the action is unblockable
- target Methuselah declines to block because he doesn't want to block

Then you can play Mo1KF after blocks have been declined.

groups.google.com/forum/?hl=fr#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/wltIoG3qv_I/hFvOS1M-Eb8J

I'm checking here to see what the current ruling is - searching showed me multiple, conflicting rulings, and the links on the Card Rulings page for Mask lead to a generic Google Groups page, not actual newsgroup posts.

Could you list the conflicting rulings so that they can be corrected (if needed)? I'm not aware of them.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
24 Sep 2015 06:51 - 24 Sep 2015 06:51 #73303 by Ke.

Could you list the conflicting rulings so that they can be corrected (if needed)? I'm not aware of them.

Isn't the Grand Ball covered by the "or other effects" part of this ruling:

"Mask cannot be used to mask an action if the Masking vampire is not capable of taking that action, nor if any action modifiers, reactions, or other effects (including inherent stealth) have been played on this action that could not have been played/used if the Masking vampire were the acting minion. (Not counting blood that has already been spent.)"

Nakhthorheb's special also comes to mind as something I thought wasn't legal. ie. Masking after minions with corruption counters have declined to block with a minion other than Nakhthorheb.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 06:51 by Ke..

More
24 Sep 2015 07:14 #73304 by Ankha
Hmpf.
There's been a few reversals after that so I'm not sure my first answer is still right.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
24 Sep 2015 09:20 #73306 by Pascal Bertrand
You can mask an action that was taken by someone with a TGB - and you can do this before or after blocks were announced/declided, as you want.
The cause, as Vincent said, is that there is no "Since I cannot declare block attempts" effect in V:tES.

Similary, you can Mask Nakhthorheb after blocks were declined.

The rest of the rulings over Mask are extremely tricky (and the superior text made me realise I might have to reverse a totally unrelated ruling).

More
24 Sep 2015 11:16 #73309 by TwoRazorReign

You can mask an action that was taken by someone with a TGB - and you can do this before or after blocks were announced/declided, as you want.
The cause, as Vincent said, is that there is no "Since I cannot declare block attempts" effect in V:tES.

Similary, you can Mask Nakhthorheb after blocks were declined.

The rest of the rulings over Mask are extremely tricky (and the superior text made me realise I might have to reverse a totally unrelated ruling).

I'm sure there are sound reasons for ruling TGB and Mask this way, but, as has been pointed out, TGB is a "other effect" that the first vampire used that "could not have been used" by the second vampire. This ruling is problematic because it contradicts the card text.

More
24 Sep 2015 12:12 - 24 Sep 2015 12:13 #73311 by jamesatzephyr

I'm sure there are sound reasons for ruling TGB and Mask this way, but, as has been pointed out, TGB is a "other effect" that the first vampire used that "could not have been used" by the second vampire. This ruling is problematic because it contradicts the card text.

One example given in the immediate wake of the 2003 RTR was Aisling Sturbridge:

[LSJ 20030520]

> Toreador A dancing with a toreador grand ball (unblockable non-bleeding
> actions)
> Toreador B with obf
>
> A takes an action. Asks prey and predator if they block, boviously, as they
> can't they decline blocking
> Can B now play MO1000F to carry on the action? (obviously, B fullfits all
> requirements of the Action)

Yes.

Similarly, if Aisling bled a Methuselah whose only ready minion was Blythe,
Nik could mask the action after Blythe's controller declines to block.

And a similar one with Blackmail and Incriminating video tape.

[LSJ 20030521]

> How about if Zebulon has a Blood Bond on one of my prey's
> vampires, a superior Blackmail on another, and an
> Incriminating Videotape on the third. He attempts to bleed,
> and when my prey declines to block, Ozmo wants to Mask in.
> Is this legal too?

Yes. See previous examples with Toreador Grand Ball and with
Aisling.

And in response to a request for a more expansive explanation: [LSJ 20030520]

> Any chance a more detailed explanation of the ruling could be
> given? I honestly don't think I can give rulings in tournaments
> with any confidence based on the new Mask ruling (for any
> situation I haven't specifically asked about already).

If it is played during the action, it is used.

And the card text on Mask is:
Not usable if any action modifiers or other effects have been used that could not have been used if this vampire were the acting vampire.

So if you've made a conscious choice to play a card or to activate something (e.g. tapping a stealth location), it's been used. If it's something inherent - such as being provided by a minion's card text or a piece of equipment that's always on - you can Mask away from it.

The one exception to this (listed on the card rulings page, coming from the later 2004 ruling) is inherent stealth, because that's been explicitly changed.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 12:13 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Sambomb

More
24 Sep 2015 14:51 - 24 Sep 2015 14:55 #73314 by TwoRazorReign

So if you've made a conscious choice to play a card or to activate something (e.g. tapping a stealth location), it's been used. If it's something inherent - such as being provided by a minion's card text or a piece of equipment that's always on - you can Mask away from it.

The one exception to this (listed on the card rulings page, coming from the later 2004 ruling) is inherent stealth, because that's been explicitly changed.

Thanks for posting those rulings. Defining "used" this way was a terrible decision.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 14:55 by TwoRazorReign.

More
24 Sep 2015 18:04 - 24 Sep 2015 18:04 #73317 by Kushiel

The conflicting rulings I referred to are old LSJ rulings from the newsgroup - no way to change them.

But here's the one that I found, from 2008, in which LSJ explicitly says that you can't Mask a the action of a vampire who's acting unblockably under a TGB. Interestingly, given Floppy citing Nakhthorheb, LSJ also explicitly says that you can't mask Nakhthorheb if he's using his ability to be unblockable.

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/vtes-rules/conversations/messages/283
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 18:04 by Kushiel.

More
24 Sep 2015 19:03 #73319 by Pascal Bertrand
Ooh Lordy.. Scott, why! ?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds