question-circle Ashur Tablets discard timing

02 Nov 2020 15:39 #101043 by lip
I didn't find a ruling on this.

When playing a third Ashur Tablets, you get to put one of up to 13 cards back in your hand. Do you discard back to hand size before or after shuffling the remaining 12 in your library ?

Ashur Tablets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2020 17:25 #101045 by kschaefer
Why would it matter? You're over your hand size, which is why you're discarding down. You're not going to draw from your library until after the Ashur Tablets effect is complete.

More
03 Nov 2020 08:23 #101050 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Ashur Tablets discard timing
Indeed, do you have something in mind?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Nov 2020 16:52 #101055 by kpram
Replied by kpram on topic Ashur Tablets discard timing
If the library is empty, or almost empty, the odds of the replacement card being one of the 12 can be relevant. So the presence or absence from the library at the time of replacement could matter.

Example: 1 card left in my library, which I know is useless to me. Tablets will place 12 good cards in my library. If I replace BEFORE the re-shuffle, I get the useless card. Otherwise, I most likely get a good card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
03 Nov 2020 16:59 #101056 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Ashur Tablets discard timing
But when you discard after ashur, tablet, you do not draw back because the discard was to discard down to your hand size.

So you could shuffle after or before having discarded, there would be no relevant difference (at least I don't see any)

More
04 Nov 2020 00:45 #101058 by kschaefer

If the library is empty, or almost empty, the odds of the replacement card being one of the 12 can be relevant. So the presence or absence from the library at the time of replacement could matter.

Example: 1 card left in my library, which I know is useless to me. Tablets will place 12 good cards in my library. If I replace BEFORE the re-shuffle, I get the useless card. Otherwise, I most likely get a good card.

Almost. Your library would need to be empty and you'd need to have less than a full hand of cards to draw anything during the Ashur Tablets resolution.

I guess that's the case this question is for. I don't see a reason to enforce a particular ordering. It would be foolish to put the cards in the library before placing one into hand, since that would forced to draw to hand size immediately, and then a discard when you finally place the last card into your hand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds