file Enkil Cog - acting while tapped

18 Jun 2014 00:44 #63198 by Jesper
My 10 cap vampire have an Enkil Cog and is tapped, the Cog is untapped.

It is in the end of my preys minion phase.

I tap the Cog, and state that my vampire bleeds.

What prevents me from doing this?

Enkil Cog
Requires a vampire of capacity 10 or more. Unique.
Only usable when this vampire successfully bleeds your prey (play after resolution). Put this card on this vampire. During any Methuselah's minion phase, this vampire may tap this card to attempt an action. This vampire has +1 bleed.

6.2. Taking an Action
Any ready untapped minion you control can take an action. The procedure for resolving an action is described in the following sections. Note that action modifiers and reaction cards can be played at any time in this process as appropriate, subject to the restrictions on adding stealth and intercept listed below and the restrictions against the same minion playing the same action modifier or reaction card more than once (see Minion Cards, sec. 1.6.3), and following the same sequencing strictures of all effects (see Sequencing, sec. 1.6.1.6).

1.4. The Golden Rule for Cards
Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence.

/Jesper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2014 01:37 - 18 Jun 2014 01:39 #63199 by ReverendRevolver
Because most actions require an untapped vampire.

Movement of the slow body, recure the homeland, and force of will all DO NOT, so you can tap the cog on another players turn and play them.

Cog lets this happen.

Note that Madness network specifically says "untapped malkavians" so Roxanne/Jason cannot get heart of darkness/concordance and Forcr of will bleex every turn, as they do not meet the criteria of an"untapped malkavian"

Hope that clarifies. Hte thing to note is Cog lets you break a rule. It does not let you break the rule of what you need to do to qualify to be able to act, it simply givez you an opportunity to act, so being tapped will typically limit what you do with said opportunity.

Edit: Just noticed who this was.....

Jesper, you should use nergal+cog during grandpreys minion phase once soul gem is on, since they can AI you then ;)
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 01:39 by ReverendRevolver.

More
18 Jun 2014 04:02 - 18 Jun 2014 04:05 #63203 by Jesper
There is nothing to prevent me from tapping a untapped Enkilg Cog on a tapped minion. Enikil Cog states that I can then attempt an action.

We know from Cards like movement, Force of Will etc. that tapped minions can take actions if allowed by card text.

Enkil Cog, dosent say "this _untapped_ vampire may tap this card to attempt an action".

We also know that Card text overrule the rules. Im still claiming that without an ruleing/change, there is nothing preventing my tapped vampire with the Enkil Cog to act.

Even better is that if Madness Network says "untapped malkavians" I would claim that aslong as the Cog dosent have that text it would mean I wouldent need to be untapped, simply due to the Network stateing that I need to be and the Cog dosent.

As far as I remember Pascal ended up agreeing with me duing the weekend, I just want the ruling so that this cant happen.

/Jesper
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 04:05 by Jesper.

More
18 Jun 2014 04:31 - 18 Jun 2014 04:57 #63204 by Ankha
As ReverendRevolder said, Enkil Cog only allows you to bypass the "minions can act during their controller's minion phase" restriction.
All other restrictions still apply, for instance the "untapped requirement".

Some other example: you can't attempt to play Parity Shift with a Sabbat vampire with Enkil Cog, just because Enkil Cog allows you to "attempt an action". You must meet all others requirements.

Anyway, if you wanted a ruling, here's one:

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/qhk0Aa1vP_M/G3Og-YafnPEJ

> May the vampire with Enkil Cog play an action by tapping the Enkil Cog
> if he (the vampire) is already tapped ?
If the action can be taken by a tapped vampire (e.g., Force of Will), yes.
Otherwise, no.

> I think that the vampire must be "legally" allowed to perform an
> action (meaning : being untapped) if he wants to act during another
> minion phase by tapping the Enkil Cog
Correct. The vampire must meet the requirements of the action.

If it requires Dominate, he must have Dominate.
If it requires an untapped vampire, he must be untapped.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 04:57 by Ankha.

More
18 Jun 2014 05:54 #63206 by FrançoisV
Per your logic, Jesper, Anneke would be able to attempt to block any action even while tapped, without using a waking effect. Interesting :P

More
18 Jun 2014 06:55 - 18 Jun 2014 06:56 #63208 by jamesatzephyr

We also know that Card text overrule the rules. Im still claiming that without an ruleing/change, there is nothing preventing my tapped vampire with the Enkil Cog to act.

No, in general, the application of the Golden Rule of Cards is roughly as follows (entirely my paraphrasing):

In so far as the card text contradicts the rules, the rules are contradicted. If the card text doesn't contradict a rule, that rule stays in play.

So Enkil Cog lets you announce an action. This contradicts the normal rules on when you can take actions. It doesn't contradict the rules on tappedness. It doesn't contradict the rules on cost. It doesn't contradict the rules on meeting requirements. It doesn't contradict the rules on repeating action - say, a vampire with Enkil Cog who is a Malkavian acting also under Madness Network to bleed twice in one turn (not allowed).

Even better is that if Madness Network says "untapped malkavians" I would claim that aslong as the Cog dosent have that text it would mean I wouldent need to be untapped, simply due to the Network stateing that I need to be and the Cog dosent.

Madness Network only allows untapped Malkavians to act. Without the word "untapped", tapped Malkavians could also act - but would only be able to take actions that allow for tapped vampires to take them, such as Force of Will or Movement of the Slow Body.

A tapped vampire with Enkil Cog can take those actions too, since they don't require an untapped vampire.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 06:56 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds