file Enkil Cog - acting while tapped

18 Jun 2014 10:42 #63212 by The Flayed Man
Totally back up the "you must be untapped" posts. Enkil Cog works best with vamps or abilities that allow you to untap. Trujah, Freak Drive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2014 19:03 #63218 by ReverendRevolver
Historically, acting out of turn has been paired with discipline-based or action based methods of either untapping (cock robin special, freak drive, contagion, clothos, fiendish toungue, leather jacket, homonoclous, etc) or combos letting you untap to block, and then stay untapped (cats, obediance, the never played shattered mirror) or block, then untap (majesty, or less crappy earth meld)

But, its always been an important part; you need to be untapped to keep acting. The two notable ways Ive SEEN untapping happen via master cards have been metro undergeound (ive used it) and cavalier (seen it with tryphosa and madness network ti good effect) monster would work, but never seen it, and there are other things, of course, like the g5 ravnos, and torvus.

But.

Its all part of the setup.

More
19 Jun 2014 07:49 - 19 Jun 2014 08:00 #63223 by Jesper
I still maintain that if I tap an Enkil Cog, even though the vampire is tapped, the Cog says that the minion attempts an action.

Card text overwrite the part in the rule book that prevents a tapped minion from acting.

Enkil Cog clearly says that this vampire attempts an action.

We are all agreements on the intend of the card. But as of now all I see is people who claim that im wrong, becouse they want to be right. Not becouse they read what the rules and card says.

A a fun experiment, lets pretend that the following 3 retainers was in the game:

Retainer X
Human 1 life

During any Methuselah's minion phase, the minion with this retainer can tap Retainer X to bleed as a (D) action.

Retainer Y
Human 1 life

During any Methuselah's minion phase, a tapped minion with this retainer can tap Retainer Y to bleed as a (D) action.

Retainer Z
Human 1 life

During any Methuselah's minion phase, an untapped minion with this retainer can tap Retainer Z to bleed as a (D) action.

The Y an Z variants are pretty easy to follow, but the X variant here I cant see what prevents a tapped minion from tapping that retainer and then, due to card text, taking a Bleed action.

/Jesper
Last edit: 19 Jun 2014 08:00 by Jesper.

More
19 Jun 2014 08:40 #63225 by Ankha
You asked for a ruling, and were provided with one. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but what's the point then?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
19 Jun 2014 08:41 #63226 by Pascal Bertrand

As ReverendRevolder said, Enkil Cog only allows you to bypass the "minions can act during their controller's minion phase" restriction.
All other restrictions still apply, for instance the "untapped requirement".

Some other example: you can't attempt to play Parity Shift with a Sabbat vampire with Enkil Cog, just because Enkil Cog allows you to "attempt an action". You must meet all others requirements.

Anyway, if you wanted a ruling, here's one:

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/qhk0Aa1vP_M/G3Og-YafnPEJ

> May the vampire with Enkil Cog play an action by tapping the Enkil Cog
> if he (the vampire) is already tapped ?
If the action can be taken by a tapped vampire (e.g., Force of Will), yes.
Otherwise, no.

> I think that the vampire must be "legally" allowed to perform an
> action (meaning : being untapped) if he wants to act during another
> minion phase by tapping the Enkil Cog
Correct. The vampire must meet the requirements of the action.

If it requires Dominate, he must have Dominate.
If it requires an untapped vampire, he must be untapped.

Correct.

More
19 Jun 2014 09:22 #63227 by jamesatzephyr

I still maintain that if I tap an Enkil Cog, even though the vampire is tapped, the Cog says that the minion attempts an action.

So do you maintain that if you choose a Dominate action with a non-Dominate user you get to attempt it anyway? Do you maintain that even if you've already bled that turn, you can bleed again?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds