file Most underrated card?

06 Dec 2011 19:25 - 06 Dec 2011 19:40 #17300 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Most underrated card?
Why don't you come up with a different definition which sets a floor for quality of cards which you'd consider underrated, if you're up to the task?

What? You can't do it? Of course not. It's completely subjective.

We have a list of tournament winning decks. Cards in those decks are "good" by some measure. Cards which are not are "bad" by some measure. Start with those cards and eliminate the really good ones, those which have been part of multiple tournament wins. Process of elimination really. It's the best method to figure this sort of thing out.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 06 Dec 2011 19:40 by Jeff Kuta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2011 19:42 #17302 by henrik
Replied by henrik on topic Re: Most underrated card?
I don't think it's possible, and I don't see any real reason for a definition of the sort you tried to create.
I'm not sure that should mean I can't point out flaws in your suggestion for a definition.

More
06 Dec 2011 19:48 #17304 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Most underrated card?
It seems to me a card which is underrated is both more useful and less used than it should be.

Lots of folks have listed great ideas in this thread from their own anecdotal experience. But to find the true cards which are just on the bubble of making the cut for deck-building, you can follow some algorithm similar to what I described.

That's the point.

And yeah, "Everyone's a critic."

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
07 Dec 2011 11:28 #17416 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Most underrated card?
A good contender for underrated card may be the Mantle of Bestial Majesty : www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?lib=1734

In most circumstance, it is at the same power level as Claw of the dead, but it is very rarely used where Claw of the dead is common place. They are rational explanation, but the main reason is not one of power level : you can easily have Claw of the dead where Mantle of Bestial Majesty is a lot harder to find without being overly superior.

More
25 Dec 2011 19:06 #19305 by drnlmza
Replied by drnlmza on topic Re: Most underrated card?

I would define underrated as any library card, which is neither clan-specific nor uses a discipline held by two or fewer traditional Camarilla/Sabbat clans, which has been used in two or fewer TWDs since the start of 2011.

Since 2 seems a somewhat arbitrary number, and, since the card list has been essentially stable since close to the start of 2010, I've put up the cards sorted by appearances in the TWDA since 2010 here . I haven't split the card list further than crypt or library, but I've also included total appearances in the TWDA as a useful additional bit of data.

I'm not sure there's that much to learn from the crypt stats, although there's obviously been a drop in the popularity of the !Malk group 2 crypt of late (only 3 of Dolphin Black's 51 entries are from 2010 and 2011 for example), and there are a few vampires I'm surprised to see not featuring in the TWDA at all (Lord Fianna for example).

The library stats are more interesting, and cards that meet the above criteria that I'm surprised to see so little use of include:
  • Catatonic Fear
  • Revelations
  • Psychic Veil
  • Skin of Night
  • The Summoning
  • Empowering the Puppet King
  • Jack of Both Sides
  • Vast Wealth
  • Weather Control
  • Inconnu Tutelage

--
National Coordinator
South Africa
The following user(s) said Thank You: echiang

More
26 Dec 2011 03:29 - 26 Dec 2011 03:31 #19326 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Most underrated card?

Since 2 seems a somewhat arbitrary number, and, since the card list has been essentially stable since close to the start of 2010, I've put up the cards sorted by appearances in the TWDA since 2010 here . I haven't split the card list further than crypt or library, but I've also included total appearances in the TWDA as a useful additional bit of data.

If I knew what a .tsv file was, maybe I could comment on these files.

How about a .csv file, or something more commonly used?

Or is a .tsv file some sort of .csv file?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 26 Dec 2011 03:31 by KevinM.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds