file How big a library?

11 Dec 2011 18:25 #18061 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: How big a library?
Wha?

So what you're saying is that everyone that plays great, focused decks and wins tournaments is being juvenile and easy to shut down in their strategy?

Right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2011 21:22 #18072 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: How big a library?
What I find amusing is the affirmation that a 60-card deck is too narrow and can't deal with diverses strategies.

More
11 Dec 2011 22:26 #18081 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: How big a library?
I use 75 cards as a standard and hardly ever run out of cards before I'm ousted, I win, or the table times. I never run into problems dealing with strategies unless I specifically choose to ignore a certain defense.

A 60-card deck can do exactly the same thing a 90-card deck does. Instead of playing, say, 8 2nd Trads, you just play 5 instead and end up with all 5 being played or discarded instead of having 3 left in the library when the game ends. If you keep your card ratio's intact all downsizing does is give you less variance (ie, more consistent deck) and reduce the odds of not having a master, a political action or a stealth card on hand when you need one.

More
12 Dec 2011 02:20 #18087 by Arthur Volts
Replied by Arthur Volts on topic Re: How big a library?
There's nothing great about stack spamming stealth, +Bleed and deflect. Back when all we had to make decks were a few sets these forms of decks were mainstream due to lack of cards to spice decks up and engage the creativity of players. No such excuses these days.

If someone wants to run such a bore of a deck and win a tournament, kudos to them. Victory for them while everyone else groans and doesn't have a good time.

And yes, it can be fairly easy to clog up someones hand who is leaning on one aspect of deck creation. You may not be able to shutdown ALL linear deck styles, but if you pay attention to what's happening to the table and are built to adapt, you can work wonders.

It pays to punish certain play styles even if it delays your own goals for the game.

More
12 Dec 2011 02:21 #18088 by Arthur Volts
Replied by Arthur Volts on topic Re: How big a library?

What I find amusing is the affirmation that a 60-card deck is too narrow and can't deal with diverses strategies.

Until someone knocks cards out of your deck and discard pile.(Especially if you have plans to bring cards back for use late game.)

I guess you can't play for everything though.

More
12 Dec 2011 04:15 #18092 by brandonsantacruz

Until someone knocks cards out of your deck and discard pile.(Especially if you have plans to bring cards back for use late game.)

I guess you can't play for everything though.

Such a strategy rarely makes you win, but it often makes your target lose.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds