file Best draft combination for independents?

04 Jan 2012 14:56 #19880 by Joscha
Hi guys,

we recently drafted Ebony Kingdom, Legacies of Blood and 3rd Editions boosters and it worked out amazingly well. I wonder if a draft with Lords of the Night would work. Does anybody made experiences with drafting that set? Would adding KMW-boosters be a good idea? Something like 3 base set (KoT/3rd), 3 LotN and 3 KMW maybe?

Thanks for your answers.

Draft rules!

Baron of Frankfurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2012 15:27 #19881 by extrala
Although I like draft in general I am not too fond of drafting sets where bloodlines are involved, since the boosters are very .. diluted. And usually the bread-and-butter cards for the independent clan-only discipline (chi/nec/qui/ser) are mostly missing.

A quick check on Secret Library for commons cards of nec and chi revealed that the following commons are available:

1 Breath of Thanatos [Action Modifier] Action Modifier / [Combat] Combat 1 blood [Necromancy] Necromancy KMW:C
5 Cold Aura [Combat] Combat 1 blood [Necromancy] Necromancy LotN:C, HttB:PSam2
7 Dead Hand [Combat] Combat [Necromancy] Necromancy KMW:C
11 Mercy for Seth [Combat] Combat 1 blood [Necromancy] Necromancy KMW:C
15 Shroudsight [Action Modifier] Action Modifier [Necromancy] Necromancy LotN:C
18 Trochomancy [Action Modifier] Action Modifier [Auspex] Auspex & [Necromancy] Necromancy LotN:C

3 Army of Apparitions [Reaction] Reaction [Chimerstry] Chimerstry LotN:C/PR
4 Edged Illusion [Action] Action 2 blood [Chimerstry] Chimerstry KMW:C, LotN:PR2
5 False Resonance [Action Modifier] Action Modifier 1 blood [Chimerstry] Chimerstry LotN:C
7 Fatuus Mastery [Action] Action [Chimerstry] Chimerstry KMW:C, LotN:PR2
8 Heart's Desire [Action Modifier] Action Modifier 1 blood [Auspex] Auspex & [Chimerstry] Chimerstry LotN:C/PR
13 Permanency [Action Modifier] Action Modifier [Chimerstry] Chimerstry KMW:C
15 Undue Influence [Action] Action [Chimerstry] Chimerstry / [Presence] Presence / [Quietus] Quietus, anarch KMW:C

So you might end up with really crappy, crappy decks that cannot oust even if the games last 3+ hours. Compare for example with KoT+TR draft or 3rd+SoC, which provides much better decks.

More
04 Jan 2012 16:12 #19883 by Joscha
Thank you for your effort. But hm, there are some more cards though like Spell of Life for the Setites, Loss for qui, unblockable action mod for Ravnos (Mantle of the Moon), Nest of Eagles for Assas, Web of Knives Recruits, Waters of Duat, Tumnimos, ...

I was sceptical about Ebony Kingdom before and it was a blast. Maybe this works, maybe you are right. Experiences would help.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
04 Jan 2012 17:50 #19891 by Haze
LOTN is a pretty good drafting set, I think. without the starter decks, you don't get too many cool cards for the clan disciplines :chi: :qui: :nec: :ser: since they seem to be situational rares or used for specific combos in constructed decks (though Heart's Desire is pretty nice at the draft effect). but there's plenty of good playable cards for the very common disciplines. Presence gets Public Trust and Unholy Penance, Potence gets strike cards, Fortitude gets its prevention. Even Dominate gets a bounce card! Not to mention there's a huge selection of no-requirement cards like equipment and locations. Agent of Power is probably the best draft card ever.

the main problem is that if you want to specifically play Independents, there's not a single good set to pair it with (even Final Nights kinda sucks). but if you treat it like a half-size base set, it works great by itself or with most other sets. In fact, the limited scope can even be an advantage as it gives more consistent decks -- Third Edition is a good base set but it's diluted across way too many disciplines and clans.

More
07 Jan 2012 08:46 #20236 by Joscha
Come on, guys, don't let me down. Isn't there anyone out there who did such a draft?

Baron of Frankfurt

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds