file What if:

10 Feb 2013 00:09 - 10 Feb 2013 00:11 #45101 by direwolf
What if: was created by direwolf
Presses were used to continue the ACTION instead of combat. Discuss.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 00:11 by direwolf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2013 00:12 #45102 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: What if:
My initial thought is that if you press to continue the action, what happens when the opponent plays a press to cancel it? Does the action end and you move on, or does a second round of combat continue? Both change the game in different ways.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
10 Feb 2013 02:02 - 10 Feb 2013 02:07 #45109 by TorranceCircle
Replied by TorranceCircle on topic Re: What if:
What If?

clzimages.com/comic/large/26/26_100327_0_WhatIfVol146WhatIfSpiderMansUn.jpg

In my opinion the press should not be changed. Aren't there enough cards that already do the combat ends and continue the action?
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 02:07 by TorranceCircle.

More
10 Feb 2013 04:29 #45112 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: What if:

What If?

clzimages.com/comic/large/26/26_100327_0_WhatIfVol146WhatIfSpiderMansUn.jpg

In my opinion the press should not be changed. Aren't there enough cards that already do the combat ends and continue the action?

I'm not suggesting a change. Your link to the alternate universe spider man issue was very apropos.

This is a response to Wedge's discussion about eliminating combat altogether.

My thought is that the idea in my original post would hasten the game. More actions would be successful at the cost of blood attrition on vampires.

Some things that would change about the game:
1) Celerity would become more of a defensive ability without additional strikes, but is strong in presses. Great for Toreador (I approve of anything that is great for Toreador!)
2) Strike: combat ends would be really strong b/c it eliminates the press step. Good for wall decks, but could be good in general metagame because current wall decks generally rely on offensive combat.
3) what happens when you Press after an "enter combat" action? Well you would enter combat again... how different is that from how it is now? (though in that light, canceling a press should end the action and combat... that makes getting to the second round of combat a problem. Second round combat rules would be eliminated, or it can only occur with "enter combat" actions, where a press would lead to the second round.)

What else am I not seeing? There is bound to be something that makes this whole idea implode.

More
10 Feb 2013 09:33 #45120 by Ylly
Replied by Ylly on topic Re: What if:
Any major change to the core of the game´s rules changes the value and utilisation of various cards. Some cards would become useless, some overpowered. This would lead to adjustments and more ... adjustments.
There is a thread about the comparison of VTES and L5R. Such a major change could easily lead to major changes every two years, just like in L5R. VTES was once designed this way and all the cards have been designed with the core rules in mind. Changing the rules would be very complicated for the cards having been published in the last 19 years.
Thus, I am against any kind of major change, such as removal of combat, changing press etc.

More
10 Feb 2013 09:42 #45121 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: What if:
What about Trap ? Undead Persistence ?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds