file Welcome to Africa

01 Sep 2012 11:31 - 01 Sep 2012 15:08 #35727 by Klaital
Welcome to Africa was created by Klaital
This is a deck that I have had for awhile, but I did quite major revisions to it lately so would be interested to hear about what people think and any possible suggestions of improvements or of something obvious I might have missed etc. Its a rush/bleed deck focusing mainly around Nangila and Nana and their awesome specials, built-in rush, 9 card hand size and 2 mpas gives quite a bit of flexibility to deck construction. Codex can also be juggled with guruhi are the lands some for lunges.

Crypt:
1x Urenna Bunu
1x Fish
1x Fode Kourouma
1x Batsheva
1x Batsheva(advanced)
1x Aren, Priest of Eshu
3x Nana Buruku
3x Nangila Were

Library: 90

Master: 19
1x Ancestor Spirit
2x Archon Investigation
5x Blood Doll
3x Fame
1x Giant's Blood
2x Mbare Market, Harare
1x Palace Hunting Ground
1x Powerbase: Luanda
1x Tension in the Ranks
2x Wider View

Action: 20
7x Deep Song
6x Founders of the Ebony Kingdom
3x Preternatural Strength
4x Well-Marked

Action Modifier: 9
1x Edge of the World
8x The Guruhi are the Land

Combat: 36
7x Carrion Crows
4x Drawing out the Beast
7x Immortal Grapple
7x Slam
6x Taste of Vitae
5x Torn Signpost

Equipment: 3
1x Codex of the Edenic Groundskeepers
1x Heart of Nizchetus
1x Ivory Bow

Event: 1
1x Dragonbound

Reaction: 2
2x Delaying Tactics

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 15:08 by Klaital.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 11:55 #35728 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Welcome to Africa
I don't really like this deck. It feels a bit all over the place; here's a few reasons.

1) Nana/Naguila is great, but only if you need Nana's MPA special. Which you don´t, if you play a good master selection (see #5).

2) There's too many actions (23) and not enough actions per turn available since you have no way to untap (well I guess well-marked...) and 3 minions in play at best. Founders is great, but not if your survival is backrush and your ousting plan is bleed-y in nature because you simply won't have actions to play it and it will just sit in your hand.

3) I love Guruhi are the Land, but in this deck it's useless. You will never hunt, you will hardly have actions to bleed and the untap after equip will come in play only 3 times. Eight copies is excessive.

4) You have no defense and your poolgain is slow, which will force you to go backwards a lot. Since you have no way to permanently get rid of minions, it doesn't matter if you can torp a lot. A Malk with 1 blood bleeds for 4 just as fine as one with 8 blood.

5) The Master selection in general is pretty bad. Three Fames is overkill, the Hunting Ground is useless, Blood Dolls are way too slow in recovering pool (especially if you plan on brining out 17+ pool in minions). Ancestor's Spirit has no place in the deck.

So in a nutshell my advice:

1) Find a way to survive that doesn't involve your prey sweeping the table
2) Streamline your master selection to match your gameplan
3) Overhaul your crypt to mainstar Nanguila and have a pot/ANI support cast. Get rid of Nana.
3) Remove the cute cards
4) Playtest a few games
5) Overhaul accordingly

More
01 Sep 2012 13:13 #35731 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Welcome to Africa
I find some of your comments quite strange, and even contradictory with each other. Like.. first you say I don't need extra mpas, and then say that I have too many masters. Then you are saying I have too many actions and not enough minions, when founders is an action that basically gives me very cheap extra minions (or alternatively 4 pool if I need that more), Nangila should be the only vampire that I ever pay full price of. He can founders to Nana, who can then founders to whoever is the next biggest guy in my uncontrolled, and so on. Also Deep Song can also be used as a bleed, (which I actually generally use it more of than as rush as I already have Nangila and pb for permanent rushes), and can use guruhi are the land as extra bleed on that, and like I mentioned earlier, guruhi are the land can also be used to get multiple uses out of the codex in a single turn (in addition to just being a free freak drive after equipping any of the equipment the first time). Also saying to 'never hunt' is fairly arrogant, yes I would prefer to never have to hunt, but it still happens quite often, especially if facing other combat decks. Similarly, I find it weird you are saying Ancestor Spirit to not have a place, free permanent +bleed that doesn't even take an action to get sounds like a sweet deal to me. Hunting Ground (at only 1 pool too!) is basically +1 pool every turn with a single doll. I could perhaps take out one Fame for something else, although it is quite good to get a fame fairly early to help in the critical first oust. Also, I don't really see how the deck is all over the place when it is quite focused to only bleeding and rushing. Which are the 'cute' cards you are talking about, by the way? Only thing I might consider to be like that is Edge of the World, which I throwed in just to test it and see if its any good, because I have really never played it before. Switching dolls to villeins may be an option if early game survival is an issue, I am just worried that it will make me run out of steam late game. Kind of like trade off between short term and long term pool gain.

More
01 Sep 2012 14:57 #35732 by blackday
Replied by blackday on topic Re: Welcome to Africa
I think each play enviroment is quite different per region, but looking at your deck i find it pretty good. It isn't overspecialized and is sort of toolbox. Although i'd prob put 1 more copy of Nangila, to make sure the odds are in my favor of getting her. Id reduce a Fame, and 1 guruhi are the land, and the edge of the World for something else your deck might need. Maybe more deep songs if you got it.

More
01 Sep 2012 15:29 #35735 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Welcome to Africa
I would love to put in another Nangila, but I unfortunately don't have any more than 3. I do have plenty of deep songs, though was thinking of maybe putting in couple decapitates, to help in getting rid of some especially annoying vampire for good, especially from my predator.

More
01 Sep 2012 15:48 - 02 Sep 2012 11:34 #35736 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Welcome to Africa
You're posting it here publicly asking what people think and if they have improvement suggestions. I gave my opinion that I think it's a bad deck for the reasons I stated earlier. You can then choose to ignore said advice entirely. Just for context realize that I played a *lot* of Nana/Nanguila (and that the deck in general is played a lot) and that none of those decks remotely look like yours, for what to me are fairly obvious reasons.

To rephrase:

- Yes you have too many masters, but not enough "many masters" to warrant playing Nana, who is without her MPA special mediocre at best. Especially since most of your masters are not good choices for the deck. Blood Dolls are suboptimal here. Three Fames is overkill. Two Mbaare's is a waste. AI is trash. Hunting Grounds are 9 out of 10 times a waste of pool.

- No, you don't get free actions with Founders. The game doesn't work like that, because it has a clock. So let's say you get Nanguila out first (3 turns). In turn 4 she plays Founders and you bring out Nana afterwards with the 4 transfers. Now at the beginning of turn 5 you have two actions available. That's *terrible*. You have 7 turns left (14 actions) to oust at least 2 preys, one of which is still untouched. To make matters worse, at least some of your actions will have to be towards your predator, even lessening the chances of you actually ousting someone within the 2-hour (~12 turns) limit. Even if you get a perfect draw with another Founders (and it goes unblocked which is far from guaranteed) and get a third minion out by the end of turn 5, you then have a total of 18 actions available to oust two preys. Good luck doing so with 7 Deep Songs. The reason Govern works is because it's also a bleed for 3. Founders is a dead card after the ~6th turn.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 11:34 by Izaak.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds