lock Qualified Players for 2012 Continental Championships

03 Sep 2012 21:18 #35876 by Brum
There was never a question with First Chance Qualifier.
I wonder when people got that idea.

About the Shadow Twins - the ones in 2011 already qualified people for 2012.

About calendars:
-You qualify for the next Continental Championships in your continent and every other Continental Championship on the same year.
Each person qualifying in the North America for the NAC 2013, also qualifies for 2013's AAC, SAC, EC, etc.
So, players in North America that qualify after 2012's NAC (including its Shadow Twins), also qualify for 2013's EC, per example.

Between NAC 2012 and EC 2012 (NAC before EC), people in Europe qualify to EC 2012, but not NAC 2013. However, people in North America already Qualify for all of the Continental Championships of 2013 (and none in 2012).
Explicit in the Rules.

BTW - I think the line that Johannes draw is good and should be explicit.
The rules only explicitly mention FCQ.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Sep 2012 21:56 #35877 by KevinM
Problem:

Since there is no "on the same year" NAC for Europeans after the NAC, which is held mid-year, then European non-qualifier tournament wins from July-Dec are worth less than non-qualifier tournament wins in North America, which only has a "worth less" period of Nov-Dec.

This doesn't seems right to me. which is why we should use a calendar year for tournament wins. Unless no one cares about the discrepancy.

But then all Europeans should register as North Americans, since it's never to their disadvantage to do so. :)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
More
04 Sep 2012 03:50 #35886 by johannes

Thanks for the confirmation, Johannes.

I assume you meant "calendar" year, i.e. since the NAC is held earlier than the EC, then even though the NAC is the end of North America's calendar year, if you are a finalist, you qualify to go to the EC, since you are still within the EC's calendar year.

That's really the issue that I think people are having a difficult time comprehending.

No. If you are a finalist of NAC 2012 you qualify for EC 2013.
More
04 Sep 2012 04:36 - 04 Sep 2012 04:44 #35890 by KevinM

I assume you meant "calendar" year, i.e. since the NAC is held earlier than the EC, then even though the NAC is the end of North America's calendar year, if you are a finalist, you qualify to go to the EC, since you are still within the EC's calendar year.

That's really the issue that I think people are having a difficult time comprehending.

Then why this statement by Brum:

You qualify for the next Continental Championships in your continent and every other Continental Championship on the same year.

The language you are using means that a player qualifying in North America in (say) 2012 -- ANY time in 2012 -- qualifies for the EC2012 also because the EC2012 is "every other Continental Championship on the same year".

The concept of "calendar years" would fix this unambiguously: After the NAC2012 (for example) all North American tournaments are in the "year" 2013 (and the same for after each other CC). That way, as long as one person here on the VEKN website can do basic arithmetic, the only piece of information required is: Did you qualify before or after the CC?

This would also equalize the fairness issue and put it back to no one anywhere having an advantage over anyone else, as they do now, given the language used.

And the website will always be correct, because this is so incredibly easy to determine. I'll be happy to take over this duty from Brum if he doesn't wish to do it anymore.

Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 04:44 by KevinM.
More
04 Sep 2012 16:22 #35931 by Brum

Then why this statement by Brum:

You qualify for the next Continental Championships in your continent and every other Continental Championship on the same year.

The language you are using means that a player qualifying in North America in (say) 2012 -- ANY time in 2012 -- qualifies for the EC2012 also because the EC2012 is "every other Continental Championship on the same year".

The concept of "calendar years" would fix this unambiguously: After the NAC2012 (for example) all North American tournaments are in the "year" 2013 (and the same for after each other CC). That way, as long as one person here on the VEKN website can do basic arithmetic, the only piece of information required is: Did you qualify before or after the CC?

This would also equalize the fairness issue and put it back to no one anywhere having an advantage over anyone else, as they do now, given the language used.

And the website will always be correct, because this is so incredibly easy to determine. I'll be happy to take over this duty from Brum if he doesn't wish to do it anymore.

I fail to understand the confusion here.
When you qualify for the Continental Championship of year YYYY in the continent you are in, you also qualify for the other Continental Championships in year YYYY.
More
04 Sep 2012 20:35 #35965 by KevinM

I fail to understand the confusion here.
When you qualify for the Continental Championship of year YYYY in the continent you are in, you also qualify for the other Continental Championships in year YYYY.

I'm not the one confused, because I agree with you. It's Johannes that is saying that what you and I are agreeing on is not correct.

Which is why we should switch to calendar years.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds