file TWD WoN first turnament Ohio may 28th

13 Jul 2013 05:06 #51451 by DJ_Assface

Being practically the only Akunanse player in our playgroup, I would really like to give this a try. Care to elaborate your strategy with your deck?

All three of those wins took place in my town, Columbus, Ohio USA. Around here we are allergic to big rats :)

Jay Kristoff
V:EKN Prince of Columbus, Ohio USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 05:10 #51452 by Von_Polack
So I assume your meta isn't very combat-oriented? Around here, you would get your ass torporised in seconds with that combat package.

More
13 Jul 2013 09:33 #51453 by blackday
well each playgroup is different. So i guess they didnt perceive him as a table threat until much too late or as Von_polack says not very combat oriented.

More
13 Jul 2013 13:00 #51459 by ICL

So I assume your meta isn't very combat-oriented? Around here, you would get your ass torporised in seconds with that combat package.

Speaking generally, combat tends to be far more popular at the local level. Crossregional metagames, major tournaments, large tournaments tend to see decks more reliable at winning than either rush or intercept combat. The latter is certainly better and very likely more popular, but the larger event, the more important it is to get as many VPs as possible (in general), which is not the forte of intercept combat.

I have never found it useful to prep for tournaments with nontournament play because of the varying metagames just between casual and tournament play. I'll play some no combat deck in casual play and get destroyed, yet run combat defense in a tournament deck and have every damage prevent or whatever be a dead draw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot, KevinM

More
13 Jul 2013 16:53 #51475 by ReverendRevolver
Ive always found combat to be what id rather have if i make final table, but combat very rarely gets me to a final table in the first place.

In all big (15+ @leasr ppl) tournies i made finals with combat, i have always gotten one great table where i got the gw and 2 or more vps, and normally not more than a vp or two in other tables.

Combat, especially intercept combat, needs to survive more focused on winning decks to make finals, and once there, has to contend with the fact that the table isnt going to be nearly as easy as earlier ones.

So, smaller tourneys are easier to win with combat. Big ones, not impossible, just harder.

More
13 Jul 2013 19:51 #51481 by Lönkka

Three tournament wins with substantially the same deck is beyond my skills....

I think Mikke is just fixated on Tunnel Rats (at least he was last year in Budapest when we were the least ones up on Sunday morning around 5 AM -and totally shitfaced I might add...)

Or he's just plain lazy to build a substantially different deck :P

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds