file Ranking Question - why so many 6th positions?

07 May 2014 01:57 - 07 May 2014 01:57 #61916 by librarian
I was looking through my ranking, and I am often ranked 6th. However when I look at the details of a tournament, there are plenty of people who fared worse than I did (and plenty who fared better). Why is everyone who doesn't make the final ranked 6th for that tournament? And technically, isn't everyone in the final but the winner ranked 2nd? That's also not reflected in these tournaments in the World Rankings/Ratings.

Here's an example:
www.vekn.net/world-ranking/event/5456

Thanks!
Chris
Last edit: 07 May 2014 01:57 by librarian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2014 04:41 #61918 by a-e
Back in the day there was different rules for final ranking, thus ranks 2 to 5. This was changed to eliminate 3/2 table split deals from finals.

As for 6th place, I thing that at that time period everyone who wasn't in final were just marked as being 6th, as not being in final. Only finalist receive extra rating points, so it didn't matter to your ranking were you 6th or 34th as you got your rating points based on gw's and vp's you scored (and 5 rating points for participating to tournament)

Marko, Prince of Helsinki

More
07 May 2014 04:51 #61919 by Jeff Kuta
Ya got me looking at my rating too. Seems there are quite a few SF Bay Area events with results still somewhere in the reporting pipeline. ;)

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
07 May 2014 13:15 #61933 by ICL
Just reviewing my own history, there are SoCal events missing, as well. I chalk it up to the nature of the system.

More
07 May 2014 13:28 - 07 May 2014 14:42 #61934 by BenPeal
I've approved every SoCal Archon file that has come my way, and on April 22 I sent a reminder to the LA Facebook group reminding people to upload their Archon files. I can send another reminder, if you like.
Last edit: 07 May 2014 14:42 by BenPeal.

More
08 May 2014 05:27 #61947 by Lönkka

and on April 22 I sent a reminder to the LA Facebook group reminding people to upload their Archon files.

That is what it boils down to.

If Archons aren't uploaded by the tournament organizers nothing can be done... :(

As can be seen from the Ben's example above, it necessarily doesnät do much if the NC puts pressure on the organizer(s).

I suggest that players start putting pressure on the organizers as well. Certainly can't hurt any. Just remember kiddos that if you're going to be tough, you need to be fair too. Just like Judge Dredd...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Attachments:

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds