lock Playtest Application

14 Sep 2011 17:44 - 14 Sep 2011 17:44 #10200 by Ira
Playtest Application was created by Ira
Hello All,

If you would like to volunteer to be a playtester, please fill out the application below, and post it as a reply to this thread.

Thanks,
Ira

PLAYTESTER APPLICATION

Please note: There aren't any "right" answers to these questions (except to #2 :)). For all the rest, we are looking for a mix of people. We don't want to have playtesters who are all spending 5+ hrs/week on VTES; some casual or newer players would be great too.

1) Please list your first and last name, e-mail address, and city/country where you play. If you regularly play online using JOL or another system, you may list that in addition to your physical city.

2) Do you promise to keep secret all the cards and content of the playtest until at least 12 months after the release of the set?

3) How often do you actually play VTES? Describe in a sentence or two (weekly casual game, tournaments, etc.)

4) Approximately how many hours per week do you spend on VTES-related things? (including deckbuilding, playing, forum posts, organizing events, etc.)

5) Pick up to two of the following as your favorite decktypes to build and play (yes, I know it may be hard to pick just two):
Bleed, Vote, Combat, Toolbox, Crazy Combo/Trick, Weenie, Star Minion, Allies/Imbued, Specific Clan (name the clan), Specific Discipline (name the discipline)

6) If selected as a playtester, do you promise to play at least 2 games per week (for 1 month) using at least some of the cards from the playtest? These would need to be at least 3 player games.

7) Pick any card idea from this forum (that hasn't been picked yet in this thread), include a link to it, and describe why it is or is not balanced. Feel free to compare to existing cards, give examples of a potentially broken combo, etc.

8) What are the top three things that you think could be improved about the game?

9) What question would you add/change on this application to ensure we get the best playtesters?

Ira
Last edit: 14 Sep 2011 17:44 by Ira.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Disco_Stu, cnislev, MarcusVitel
The topic has been locked.
More
14 Sep 2011 21:25 #10209 by Juggernaut1981
1)
Andrew Chirgwin (Prince of Castle Hill, NSW, Australia)

Blacktown, Sydney Australia
I would play on JOL if playtesting was held there.

2) "The Secrets Must be Kept"... I'm happy to agree to that.

3) I play weekly at my FLGS for about 4 hours.

4) I estimate I'd spend more than 10hrs a week on VTES related things. (VEKN forum, Blog, Prince-matters in Australia, keeping in touch with my playgroup on VTES matters, planning for future tournaments)

5) Toolbox, Combo/Trick/Theme (e.g. Wizard Decks using Mage Allies, Mother Hamster where Mata Hari makes Tumnimos and then Talbot's Chainsaws them to feed herself with Carver's Meat Packing and Storage)

6) I am happy to play at least two games a week (on average) using cards from the playtest. (I would also specifically incorporate the playtest cards into 'normal' decks to check them against the current power of the game).

7)
www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/9288-card-idea-metanoia
My reasons for it being overpowered are in the thread. I don't know if you've read them, but there is plenty of reasoning there.
www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/9607-card-idea-endure-through-spirits
Again, my reasoning for my views on its power are through the thread.

*Note: Not wanting to pick on Ankha, he's just been the one publishing the most threads about card ideas.

8)
#1: Plain English cardtexts. There should not really need to be rulings on the text of an actual card on its own (See Villein). Words such as Move, Transfer, Steal, etc should potentially be given a specific in-game meaning and treated as separate things; if they aren't different ways of handling cards/counters then one word should be used and not two. (e.g. if Move and Transfer are treated as the same thing, Move or Transfer should be used and the other word replaced)

#2: Development of new ousting methods (Alternate Win 'Paths'). This is particularly true for deck types such as combat. There should potentially be more ways to: gain pool and damage your prey's pool that are not just "make them enter combat more often". Combat should potentially contribute on its own.

#3: Reduce the natural instinct of players to attend events like Qualifiers with Weenie S&B, Dom S&B, etc. I think we need to develop cards that will change the nature of the game for the Speed-Bleed and Speed-Vote deck types. I would like Qualifiers to be more diverse than 15+ S&B and Weenie-Dom decks with the odd Powerbleeder, the Schmuck who brought a toolbox and "that dude who always brings a wacky trick deckto everything".

9) Choose a card and redesign it so that you would consider it balanced AND include it in a deck suitable for tournaments. (You may include cards that have already been proposed to the public, e.g. via the VEKN Forum)

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
More
14 Sep 2011 22:11 - 14 Sep 2011 22:19 #10210 by DeathInABottle
1) Liam Mitchell, , Victoria, BC, Canada

2) Yes

3) I play a weekly casual game and the (very) occasional tournament. I've been playing casually since the late '90s.

4) I usually spend 5 hours playing and another 1 to 4 hours deckbuilding.

5) Toolbox, Crazy Combo/Trick

6) Yes

7) Editing for misunderstanding the question and writing about Parity Shift; give me a minute...

8) First, I'd like to see more indirect methods of acquiring victory points. I like decks that do unusual things that don't necessarily touch pool directly since they're difficult to predict, and since this unpredictability encourages players to deckbuild with a wide range of possibilities in mind. (I like focused trick decks, but more and more I'm coming to love well crafted toolboxes.) Deck destruction, blood attrition, corruption, and so on - I'd like to see support for this sort of thing.

Second, I'd like more support for the Anarchs and the Laibon. I love the options that the three way cards open up, and I think that the Aye/Orun mechanic could be feasible with a little more support.

Third, I'd love it if some of the innovative ideas from this forum were incorporated, with "bounce + X" being particularly promising. Novel, unexpected responses to old, predictable actions should keep the game fresh by opening up new strategies.

9) Which of the card ideas so far proposed in this forum is your favorite, and why?
Last edit: 14 Sep 2011 22:19 by DeathInABottle. Reason: Misunderstanding.
More
15 Sep 2011 06:45 - 15 Sep 2011 08:08 #10233 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Playtest Application
What will be the medium to playtest? Playing the cards in my parisian playgroup would mean other players will know the cards, doesn't it conflict with point #2?

Playing through Lackey or JOL with other playtesters mean more confidentiality, but is quite tedious and long.

Anyway, I'll gladly join so here's my form:

1) Vincent Ripoll, v.ripoll-at-gmail.com, Paris, France. Present on Lackey.

2) Sure, no problem.

3) I play every week in our gaming shop, and sometimes do an extra during the week and/or week end, either physically or on lackey. As the Prince, I promote competitive play in shops even on casual game and attend nearly each tournament organized in Paris (once a month). I move also 3 or 4 times a year for other local tournaments (usually qualifiers) and national championship.

4) My brain's constantly running ideas, either about card design or deck building :) Physically, I spend more than 10 hours a week on it, either playing, programming tools (such as the turbo deck simulator or card creator), and answering forums.

5) Crazy Combo/Trick, Star Minion. they're more challenging and fun to design (though Aim&chain is at the opposite). This includes "infinite pool damage" suing Henry Taylor and Condemnation Doomed, Eternal Contagion where you steal vampire using contagion, Saulot/Khobar, Turbo Jacob etc.

6) No trouble playing 2 games per week. I play more than that on regular basis.

7) I had to browse a lot to find cards I didn't create :)
www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/8069-lasombra-cards
Inner Darkness
Cardtype: Combat
Only usable before range is determined. Put this card on the vampire.
[obt] Once each combat, you may remove 2 cards from your ash heap from the game to exchange any combat card from your hand for combat card that require obtenebration from your ash heap
[OBT] As above, but you may remove 1 card instead.

I think it allows unbalanced permanent recursion. Since VTES is a game where resources are supposed to exhaust, recursion must be thought carefully. Permanent recursion even more. The card is no action so can't be blocked and may transform any combat card into a combat ends (at best) or an Entombment (at worse) for a ridiculous cost (removing 1 card that doesn't even need to be a combat card?) Compared to a Shadow Court Satyr, it is overpowered because it's more versatile, it stays on a vampire (more resilient than ally), and doesn't cost 3 pool :)
To be balanced, the card should be one shot (before range, you may exchange a combat card from your hand and from your ash heap) and cost 1 blood (as most obtenetration cards anyway). I don't know if the "remove a card" part should be kept, but in that case, it should remove a combat card (to exhaust resources as explained earlier).

8) Tough topic. 1/ I've always found combat options a little underprivileged compared to vote and bleed. It requires a lot of cards, is more hazardous than bleeding for 6 at 1 stealth, and usually is less pool damaging than other options. More cards like Fame, Tension, Dragonbound could help. 2/ Some decks ruin the game: Madness reversal of fortune, Una freakshow among others. They are extremists win-or-die decks that have too little interaction with other players (that usually don't even have a chance to play if everything goes well). Weenie DBR and Tupdogs are borderline but still ok. 3/ It would be nice to have an alternative format, quicker, with less players, that could be used to bring new players to the "real" game. It could even be a board game using VTES material and introducing some common but simplified rules.

9) I'd ask what method applicants would use to playest efficiently.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 08:08 by Ankha.
More
15 Sep 2011 08:57 - 16 Sep 2011 08:02 #10246 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Re: Playtest Application
1) Lech Jabłoński, angelofcain at gmail dot com, Kraków Poland (i can use Lackey or jol, too)

2) Yes

3) 2 to 3 times per week, 2 to 4 games per session. This year i didn't played serious tournament, but i'll most likely play EC.

4) About 15

5) Toolbox, Intercept-combat.

6) Yes

7) vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/9743-card-idea-month-of-madness

Easy, prolong the game and make it retarded and random, why even printing a card that is similar to banned card (madness of the bard) ?

vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/9443-card-idea-timefalls

Name: Timefalls
Cardtype: Action / Reaction / Combat
Discipline: Thaumaturgy / Temporis
:tha: :combat: Press.
:tem: :reaction: Only usable at the end of an action, if at least 4 actions have been taken during this minion phase. Minions can't take actions this turn.
:TEM: :action: +1 stealth action. Play a master card that can be put into play from your hand. Pay cost as normal.

At superior any Minion steal that lasts + Golconda, outnferior is better than other press cards from :tha:. Some master card played out of order are strong( like Millicent Smith that dont hurt you), like anarchist troublemaker or pentex. With the enkil cog, you can play those in other players turn. This card also allows to play master cards that you just drawn, and to play master cards after master-out-of-turn. Inferior is very strong against some decks and in some situations, but too unreliable to count on it as defense strategy.

8) Infinite combos, master card recursion, steal minion effects combined with heidelberg castle and some blood gaining techs. Cards like Tupdogs, Parity Shift, Temptation of Greater Power, Voter Captivation, Giant's Blood, Una, Ashur Tablets

9) Choose existing wallpaper card and suggest how to make it playable.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2011 08:02 by Lech.
More
15 Sep 2011 10:15 #10253 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Playtest Application

7) vekn.net/index.php/forum/30-expansion-sets-a-card-ideas/9743-card-idea-month-of-madness

Easy, prolong the game and make it retarded and random, why even printing a card that is similar to banned card (madness of the bard) ?

The whole joke aspect of the card (where the text itself is a haiku) didn't elude you, did it?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds