file Card idea: Glimpse the Gulf Beyond

15 Sep 2011 11:27 #10256 by Ankha
Name: Glimpse the Gulf Beyond
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Daimoinon/Serpentis
+1 stealth action
[ser] (D) Choose a ready ally controlled by another Methuselah. Untap it and take control of it until the next discard phase.
[dai] Frenzy. Requires an infernal vampire. As [ser] above, but choose a ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah. That vampire may choose to enter combat with this acting minion instead; in that combat, strikes to dodge or end combat cost that vampire 1 additional blood.
[DAI] As [dai] above, but that vampire cannot choose to enter combat instead if you burn 1 of your corruption counters on him or her.

Baali decks tend to be extremely agressive because you pay 1 pool per untap, so each action counts and you can't waste time going hunting. So I wanted to grant them a rush card to give Baali combat decks new options from this perspective.
Outferior serpentis gives a new "steal ally" option. You get the ally only one turn, but can use it right away. If it appears to be too strong, it can be nerfed (though many cards allow to burn allies at inferior.)

Inferior daimoinon gives a "be stolen or rushed" choice to the target. Usually people will prefer to be rushed (which is the main purpose of the card). The Frenzy drawback is induced by the "dodge and combat ends cost 1 more". You can be tricked though if the vampire prefer to be stolen for the turn and if you have nothing to do with him or her (still, you can always bleed).
At superior, by playing also Corruption, it removes the otpion and allow you to steal vampires for a turn at the expense of a corruption counter played earlier.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2011 11:02 #10401 by Disco_Stu
Hi Ankha,

A really neat idea - congrats! I think it suffers slightly from the amount of card text. Would you consider dropping the :ser: outferior and making it a :dai:-only effect?

Discipline: Daimoinon.
Requires an infernal vampire. Frenzy.
[dai]: Choose an ally or younger vampire controlled by another Methuselah. Untap that minion and take control of it until the end of the current minion phase. That minion may cancel this card by burning 1 blood or life. If this card is cancelled, the chosen minion enters combat with this acting vampire. In that combat, strikes to dodge or end combat cannot be played in the first round.
[DAI] As above, but cancelling this card costs an additional blood or life.

Note that this version means the opposing minion is now softened up before combat (I dropped the inherent stealth to balance this out), and it now works even if someone plays DI :)

cheers
Disco Stu

More
17 Sep 2011 17:08 #10418 by Ankha

Hi Ankha,

A really neat idea - congrats! I think it suffers slightly from the amount of card text. Would you consider dropping the :ser: outferior and making it a :dai:-only effect?

Thanks. I don't thing space is really an issue but let's see.

Discipline: Daimoinon.
Requires an infernal vampire. Frenzy.
[dai]: Choose an ally or younger vampire controlled by another Methuselah. Untap that minion and take control of it until the end of the current minion phase. That minion may cancel this card by burning 1 blood or life. If this card is cancelled, the chosen minion enters combat with this acting vampire. In that combat, strikes to dodge or end combat cannot be played in the first round.
[DAI] As above, but cancelling this card costs an additional blood or life.

Note that this version means the opposing minion is now softened up before combat (I dropped the inherent stealth to balance this out), and it now works even if someone plays DI :)

It's stronger because:
- dodge and s:ce can't be played at all (on first round)
- it resists DI
- the vampire loses 1 life before combat

On the other hand:
- you don't have the option of playing Corruption in order to steal vampires for a turn
- it doesn't have stealth

So both version are quite equivalent. Yours is more combat oriented, mine is more toolbox.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds