question-circle New Promo Cards for Tournaments

15 Sep 2011 12:44 #10258 by Sudden Reversal
Whilst the news of a set in the works is fantastic, in my opinion of even greater urgency is the creation of a few new exclusively promo cards. These would not be reprints of existing cards, but serve the same function as the promo only cards that came in tournament packs of yore.

A great motivator for people to come to tournaments is access to those few funky cards that could not be found in the normal sets and be you poor player, veteran or collector you were always going to take a few of these thematic, sometimes powerful, often corner case cards home with you.

New promo cards will also allow Princes to fashion tournament packs in the historical sense, a few boosters thrown in with the promos.

Any chance of something like this before the new set is realised? Being only a few cards it shouldn't be a time sink on the scale of the expansion.

Will do wonders for the tournament scene in my neck of the woods as I would imagine elsewhere.

Aaron
Archbishop
Adelaide

Aaron
Archbishop
Adelaide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2011 13:07 #10259 by Brum
In my non educated or experienced opinion, the playtest time of 3 cards would keep the playtest time and energy of the new expansion at bay, thus moving the release of the new expansion further down the line.
The delivery system of the two (promos or expansion) will be the same, so there's really no difference there.
Before, promos didn't come inside boosters or decks, so that made the whole difference.

What the R&D people can do is build and playtest N + 4 or 5 cards.
N cards to be released in the expansion and the others to be released periodically, specifically for Storylines, or as promo-like release, although it would be fake promos due to the delivery method.
But these promo-like releases could keep interest and discussion going between expansions.

Finally, I think the first release from VEKN should be an expansion of 40+ cards because of the message that sends both to the inside and the outside of the community.
If I had a stable and experienced playgroup I would love to volunteer.
Alas, I do not. :S

Tiago

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds