file New card idea, sabbat parity shift

19 Oct 2011 19:22 - 20 Oct 2011 09:31 #12329 by Myrdin
So, I've run this idea through the Stockholm playgroup and reactions have been as follows: first "it's too strong" after some discussion "it's too weak". So what does the internet say?

Community of Cain
Political Card - Worth 1 Vote. Called by any archbishop or Cardinal at +1 stealth. Choose a Methuselah. Sum both your pool and split it evenly among you, if the total amount is odd the split is done to your favor.
Flavortext: What? thats communism! - Neonate forced into the communal haven.

I'm not totally clear on the wording yet but the idea is there.

So some points for the discussion. Parityshift has 5 main points in my opinion:
1. It does not create pool, it only redestributes it.
2. It does not remove pool, it only redestributes it.
3. It is a card that makes for aggressive play, but does not oust in itself very often.
4. It lessens in power as the game progresses.
5. It's often a defensive card used to counter early pooldamage

So lets evaluate these cards beside each other. A 5man parityshift does a total pooleffect of 10 (5 lost, 5 gained across table), for this card to have the same total effect it would have to be played at a difference of 10 vs 20 pool for example (ergo not too powerful). The power of a card like this would be conditional, while at the same time very effective in many situations.

Normal games don't usually have that large pooldifference between methuselas and it take extremely aggressive play to make this card have a larger effect than parityshift, while at the same time this card would lose power as the game progresses since usually pool sizes decrease during games.

Give me your thoughts, have at me ;)

Ivan - Prince of Stockholm
Last edit: 20 Oct 2011 09:31 by Myrdin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2011 19:35 - 19 Oct 2011 19:39 #12332 by Surreal
Sorry to say but don't like this card at all. It doesn't feel like sabbat vote. Also I think sabbat don't need parity shift just some strong vote which fits for sabbat.

My biggest problem with this card is the possible huge game effect with one vote. I can see this vote going to crosstable many times. Crosstable player with 20 pool and you with 5 pool doesn't happen every game but this vote changes the whole table balance with just one action. You can also totally ruin the game for one player with this card. Usually pool sizes decrease during games but not everytime evenly with players and when it doesn't happen evenly this card will mess the table.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2011 19:39 by Surreal.

More
19 Oct 2011 19:40 #12333 by Ashur
I like it. Sabbat needs something like this. Sure, it gets kind of bad if you at 3 pool target someone with 17 pool, especially if it´s crosstable, but I do not think that is a big problem. Let the playtesting begin playtesters!

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
19 Oct 2011 22:13 #12356 by Brum
Super Powerful in a deck with Zubeida (made Cardinal), Scout Youngwood and Dmitra.
Careful playtest will prove this to be true.

More
20 Oct 2011 05:30 #12422 by Klaital
Should at least limit it to only targeting prey, and add priscus and regent to the list of titles that can be used to call it. Overall though I really don't like this card since it basically punishes people for playing well and rewards you for playing poorly. Like imagine that you have been bled down to 3 pool, crosstable there is a girls deck with 30+ pool. Now do the math.

More
20 Oct 2011 05:55 #12432 by Lönkka
I'm really not comfortable handing our Parity Shift -like cards to the sects left and right.

For example, Sabbat has like tens of different cards requiring Sabbat giving all kinds of nifty abilities and things whereas there's just few odd cards requiring Camarilla.

All animals should not be equal.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds