file Mechanic for strong ally. You like?

31 Oct 2011 20:15 - 01 Nov 2011 15:49 #13119 by Ashur
Came to think of a interesting mechanic you could put on a powerful ally (possibly for !Brujah, !Gangrel or some other clan in need)

Example:

Badass Ally
Ally
1 pool
Unique mortal with 2 life. 2 strength, 2 bleed [or/and insert any other abilities that make the ally balanced powerwise]
During your master phase your predator´s predator may choose to tap Badass Ally.

On 4-5 players, the ally is strong/interesting/dealmaking fun.
On 3 players, the ally is kind of worthless. (EDIT: But could still dealmaking fun, depending on the ally´s abilities)
On 2 pleyers, the ally is really powerful.

What do you think? (Given some thought, the mechanic could even go on a vamp)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 15:49 by Ashur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2011 11:11 #13152 by Baaliprimogen
I'm not quite sure. Mostly I don't think your predator's predator gonna give a f... Unless he's also your prey. If he's not your prey, he don't want to tap him, thous leaving you more open to your predator.

On the other hand. He could pay a pool to be unable to take actions this turn. Then he can defend agains your predator. And your predator's predator will be happy. Here are some suggestions:

Predator's Predator may burn a pool to*
*make BA be unable to take any actions this turn and get +1 intercept until your next untap phase.

*make BA able to enter combat with a minion controlled by chosen meth. BA is unable to do other actions.

*make BA bleed your predator as a (D) action

*make BA be able to search your library for an equipment card and equip with it. Pool cost is payed to your Predator's predator.

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

More
02 Nov 2011 16:04 - 02 Nov 2011 16:04 #13237 by jamesatzephyr

During your master phase your predator´s predator may choose to tap Badass Ally.
What do you think? (Given some thought, the mechanic could even go on a vamp)

It feels like you'd run a risk that:
  • when it's in the "get tapped" situation, it'd be near useless for quite a while
  • when you're in the end game, it would be extremely powerful because you'd pay (say) 1 pool and get an ally who's really very strong indeed because the 'cost' of the disadvantage is irrelevant now

Basically, are you just creating a card that gets thrown away if drawn early and is super-good if drawn late?

There are cards like that, of course. To an extent, Foreshadowing Destruction is a bit like that - when you're close to clinching an oust, you get a freebie extra bleed, but not the regular +2 bleed of Threats (superior) when not near an oust.

So it's not without precedent. But it does feel like it might well risk straddling that line quite awkwardly.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2011 16:04 by jamesatzephyr.

More
02 Nov 2011 20:32 #13245 by Ashur
Well, I guess it depend on what exact abilities you give the ally. I think it would be nice to have a kind of "Owain Evans-situation", when your grandprey decides what you can do. Maybe even your grandpredator should decide what of several abilities is active on the ally. This needs more thought. I´ll be back!

More
03 Nov 2011 08:18 #13272 by alek
I feel this kind of card would just make games last much longer (because of discusions about to let or not to let use card's specials), causing more time outs.

More
03 Nov 2011 12:31 #13281 by Ashur

I feel this kind of card would just make games last much longer (because of discusions about to let or not to let use card's specials), causing more time outs.

But if the ally is aggressive, it might make the games shorter!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds