file New Card: Meddling of the Assyrians

21 Nov 2011 22:36 #15374 by Brum
Meddling of the Assyrians
Cardtype: Master
Cost: 3 pool.
Master: out-of-turn.
Cancel a master card played by another Methuselah as it is played.
Go to all Ash Heaps and remove from the game all copies of the canceled master card.
Only one Meddling of the Assyrians may be played each game.

This is an attempt to limit recursion of Masters, as given by a friend of mine who no longer plays, Carlos Santos, and with some tweaks by me.
Too strong? Too idiotic? Destroys completely the strategy of some decks?

First, the cost is not trivial.
Second, worse case scenario its an awful Sudden Reversal that can still save your star minion from that killing Pentex. Remember kids, no (no cost is paid) clause, so you bur 3 pool, but the other guy also pays for the canceled master card.
Thirdly, all Ashur Tablet decks, Parthelios and Sudario Decks will use it for defence. Ok - that's like a tax of 3 pool, one slot and one master phase action.
I tried to stay away of cards naming other cards, specially to hurt them. I think that's bad design.
Another thing we tried was to create something balanced.
What do ya say?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2011 06:21 #15401 by Ankha

Cancel a master card played by another Methuselah as it is played.
Go to all Ash Heaps and remove from the game all copies of the canceled master card.
Only one Meddling of the Assyrians may be played each game.

Not a bad idea, but most decks won't afford the 3 pool cost. And making it playable only 1 each game contradicts the goal of the card (allowing to get rid of 1 recursive master)0

The wording can be made more simple.

Cancel a master card played by another Methuselah as it is played, then remove from the game all copies of that card from all ash heaps. Only one Meddling of the Assyrians may be played each game.

I would change the limit to "Each Methuselah may play only one Meddling of the Assyrians each game."

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

More
22 Nov 2011 10:00 #15435 by Boris The Blade

Remember kids, no (no cost is paid) clause, so you bur 3 pool, but the other guy also pays for the canceled master card.

And no non out-of-turn clause either, so it will be even more hilarious on an Archon Investigation :laugh:

More
22 Nov 2011 10:23 #15437 by alek
I don't like it. It's master card which main goal is to cancel other masters. Introducing such cards leads to decks with more masters and less minion cards which means less minion interactions and more play a card-counterspell-counter your counter type of play which should be avoided as much as possible in vtes.
Apart from this at 3 pool it would be playable only in heavy bloat decks.

More
24 Nov 2011 17:54 #15830 by Arthur Volts
Amazing concept.

I like it.

It promotes players to diversify their deck construction and stop using training wheel combinations to win the game through bloat etc.

Mature players need mature deck construction opportunities to expand and evolve the game beyond tried and true spam combinations.

More
24 Nov 2011 18:24 - 24 Nov 2011 18:26 #15837 by Ohlmann

And no non out-of-turn clause either, so it will be even more hilarious on an Archon Investigation :laugh:

If one of your vampire is being AI-ed, it's very likely that it's your turn, so you can't play the Meddling of the Assyrian. You can do it as a favor to a cross-table buddy, with Enkil Cog, or Madness network, but they are fringe case.

For the same reason, it will rarely work against Rotschrek. As far as I know, neither Rotscrechk nor Archon Investigation cause real trouble, so...

And it's pretty expensive. You'd better understand pretty well your opponent tactics before playing this.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2011 18:26 by Ohlmann.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds