file card idea: Curst greed

27 Nov 2011 22:56 - 28 Nov 2011 20:44 #16235 by cmdrKEEN

Name: Curst greed
Cardtype: Master Out-of-turn
When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source (edit:other than having ousted his prey,) he burns that much pool instead.
(edit: Not usable during an oust or unique political action.)

After reading a lot of posts about what cards are overpowered I see a tendency towards cards that generates a lot of pool at once. Without having read all card ideas posted in this thread in full detail, I have not found any card with a similar simple mechanic. It doesnt render Villein or Parity Shift completely useless, but you would have to bloat more careful. It is alike to what Archon Investigation does for bleeds. Posing a risk if you want too much at once.

Just a quick idea in the midst of the night, but i would like to throw it in for discussion.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 20:44 by cmdrKEEN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 00:08 #16238 by echiang
Replied by echiang on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his prey, he burns that much pool instead.

After reading a lot of posts about what cards are overpowered I see a tendency towards cards that generates a lot of pool at once. Without having read all card ideas posted in this thread in full detail, I have not found any card with a similar simple mechanic. It doesnt render Villein or Parity Shift completely useless, but you would have to bloat more careful. It is alike to what Archon Investigation does for bleeds. Posing a risk if you want too much at once.

Abusive in Madness Network and Enkil Cog decks that can do ridiculous amounts of pool "damage" with Ancient Influence, Reins of Power, and Political Stranglehold.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: cmdrKEEN, henrik

More
28 Nov 2011 06:47 #16251 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his prey, he burns that much pool instead.

Just a quick idea in the midst of the night, but i would like to throw it in for discussion.

What about not dealing damage, but delaying the gain?

Put this card into play.
When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his prey, he or she gains 2 pool and put the rest of this card instead. During each Methuselah's untap phase, he or she may move 1 counter from this card to his or her pool. (+text to avoid contest/multiple copies in play)

So you don't get killed by gaining pool, and the pool you would gain will benefit the whole table in fact (even if you get 2 pool first).

I don't say it's a good card, but it seems less prone to combo than your suggestion.

I wish The Rising were more playable.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ohlmann

More
28 Nov 2011 08:48 #16283 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed
I like a lot better the Ankha wording. I would change twothings :

* 2 counter per turn, not 1. It would be already plenty harsh for deck that bloat as a defense.
* work on only one methuselah, because separating the blood for every methuselah on only one card seem problematic.

In addition, since this card seem to help mainly stealth bleed and power bleed, maybe make it burn if you bleed too much or something ?

More
28 Nov 2011 08:55 - 28 Nov 2011 08:56 #16285 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

I like a lot better the Ankha wording. I would change twothings :

* 2 counter per turn, not 1. It would be already plenty harsh for deck that bloat as a defense.
* work on only one methuselah, because separating the blood for every methuselah on only one card seem problematic.

In addition, since this card seem to help mainly stealth bleed and power bleed, maybe make it burn if you bleed too much or something ?

In my version, ALL methuselahs benefit from the pool (the pool that is collected is not distinct for each methuselah).

That means that if you shift your prey, you gain 2, put 3 on the card, and your prey will regain 1 during his or her turn (and your little prey and grand predator too).

But it doesn't mean that your version ("choose one methuselah..." i suppose it will require some burn possibility too) isn't better.

Something like:

Unique. Choose a Methuselah and put this card into play.
When that Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his or her prey, he or she gains 2 pool and put the rest on this card instead. During that Methuselah's untap phase, he or she may move 2 counters from this card to his or her pool. Any vampire may burn this card as a (D) action (the pool left is lost).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 28 Nov 2011 08:56 by Ankha.

More
28 Nov 2011 09:06 #16290 by cmdrKEEN
Replied by cmdrKEEN on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

What about not dealing damage, but delaying the gain?

Put this card into play.
When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his prey, he or she gains 2 pool and put the rest of this card instead. During each Methuselah's untap phase, he or she may move 1 counter from this card to his or her pool. (+text to avoid contest/multiple copies in play)

So you don't get killed by gaining pool, and the pool you would gain will benefit the whole table in fact (even if you get 2 pool first).

I don't say it's a good card, but it seems less prone to combo than your suggestion.

I wish The Rising were more playable.

I like the mechanic, but that would very much take away the simplicity of this card. And would be a different card altogether.

Maybe just denying the poolgain instead of turning it into pooldamage would be enough, but it would not be as much of a thread for someone who already has a lot of pool and just wants to gain (a lot) more at once.

What about adding a "not usable during actions that may only be played once a game". Makes the text longer and less intuitive that I would like, but would eleminate the abuses echiang pointed out.

Are there more cases this card could be abused? Are there possibilities to give another methuselah large amounts of pool when not your turn besides other Out-of-turn Masters?

What about if cards like golconda are played?

first post updated:
When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source he burns that much pool instead.
Not usable during an oust or unique political action.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds