file card idea: Curst greed

28 Nov 2011 11:55 #16304 by jamesatzephyr

Name: Curst greed
Cardtype: Master Out-of-turn
When a Methuselah would gain more than two pool from one single source other than having ousted his prey, he burns that much pool instead.

Just picking this one, although it could equally apply to any of the follow-ups that use the same "two pool/single source" mechanic.

What's the Designer Intent for transferring pool back from an uncontrolled vampire? I would guess that players might argue that:
  • each use of 2 transfers is a separate source
  • the vampire in your influence phase is a 'single source'

I'm not so interested in which of these would be the official answer if this was real card text and floppy had to rule on it, so much as what people think should happen. Card text can be changed (or not changed) either way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 12:09 #16308 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

What's the Designer Intent for transferring pool back from an uncontrolled vampire?

I can't argue for the card creator, but in my opinion, each use would be a separate source. This is because gaining pool from your uncontrolled vampire is not exactly too much of a problem, usually limited to 2 or 3 pools per turn, so no use nerfing it again. And if somehow a deck get 10+ transfert per turn, I believe the problem would still not be the pool gain from thoses transfert but the fact that it can each turn put an inner circle into play, villein it, then golconda it.

More
28 Nov 2011 12:18 #16309 by henrik
Replied by henrik on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

Just picking this one, although it could equally apply to any of the follow-ups that use the same "two pool/single source" mechanic.

What's the Designer Intent for transferring pool back from an uncontrolled vampire? I would guess that players might argue that:
  • each use of 2 transfers is a separate source
  • the vampire in your influence phase is a 'single source'

I'm not so interested in which of these would be the official answer if this was real card text and floppy had to rule on it, so much as what people think should happen. Card text can be changed (or not changed) either way.

I'd find it very weird if it wasn't considered to be two separate actions (there might be a better word than "actions", but I'm sure my point gets through).
This is from a rulebook point of view though, since the things you can to in the influence phase are:

• Spend one transfer to move 1 blood counter from your pool to a minion in your uncontrolled region.
  • Spend two transfers to move 1 blood counter from a minion in your uncontrolled region to your pool.
  • Spend four transfers and burn a pool to move a vampire from your crypt to your uncontrolled region (drawing from the top, as always).

Since there's no "Spend three transfers to move 3 blood counters from your pool to a minion in your uncontrolled region" I think the intent is rather clear. You perform one of those three "actions" a number of times.

More
28 Nov 2011 20:35 #16367 by cmdrKEEN
Replied by cmdrKEEN on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed

What's the Designer Intent for transferring pool back from an uncontrolled vampire?

The single source was entered to avoid "Tribute to the Master" or several "Blood Dolls" to be affected. I thought about transfering too, but to be honest either way would be fine with me. Even if transferring three blood from one minion to the pool would qualify to play this card, then you could still transfer up from two different minions. I would go for whatever keeps the card as plain and simple as possible.

More
29 Nov 2011 01:16 #16399 by Xaddam
Replied by Xaddam on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed
Is this card intended to hose The Eternals of Sirius? 9 pool damage is quite a lot. Also, why is Tribute to the Master more "ok" than minion tap? The entire concept seems like a really dangerous mechanic.

I would suggest maybe something like "Play whenever any Methuselah gains 2 or more pool. That Methuselah burns 2 pool.". Two pool damage for a master card is really good, and you won't actually kill anyone with this card. If you feel like 2 damage would be too little, then increasing it to 3 and only usable when that Methuselah gains 3 or more.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

More
29 Nov 2011 20:41 - 29 Nov 2011 20:48 #16491 by cmdrKEEN
Replied by cmdrKEEN on topic Re: card idea: Curst greed
The original intention was to create a real treat to gaining too much pool at once in the same way as archon investigation does to high bleeds.

Something that is a simple mechanic and make people want to only take a fair amount or pool to be safe.
"if you would get 3 or more pool gain 2 pool damage instead." would probably do that but I see there are many ways to abuse any kind of this mechanic.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2011 20:48 by cmdrKEEN.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds