file Card Idea: Reflexive Command

13 Dec 2011 21:29 - 14 Dec 2011 22:41 #18314 by Serazahr
Name: Reflexive Command
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Celerity/Dominate
Cost: 1 blood
:cel::dom: +1 intercept. If this vampire successfully blocks a younger vampire this action, you may cancel the resulting combat. If you do so tap this vampire.
:CEL::DOM: Only useable by a tapped vampire. Untap this Vampire.

What do you think?

I intentionally left out ally, because even Obedience cant do that. The one blood cost is mostly for celerity giving an intercept. Rooftop Shadow has the limitation of the acting minion having no celerity, this doesn't but therefore the dominate version is slightly weaker than obedience, in that it only works on a successful block.

The superior version I think is balanced in that it needs both on superior, but obviously an unconditional untap is strong.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2011 22:41 by Serazahr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2011 22:50 #18319 by Juggernaut1981
So after digging around in ARDB...
At :CEL::DOM: these vampires would be able to use this card... (not a complete list)
Cesewayo
Christopher Houghton
Constanza Vinti
Donal O'Connor
Guillaume Giovanni
Helena
Lernean
Lucas Halton
Melisande
Mistress Fanchon
Rafael de Corazon
Stanislava

These are all strong blocking vampires with good defence capabilities already. This card would only push these decks further off the top of the scale (especially in the case of Guillaume Real-Estate Decks, Eurobrujah & Cesewayo Knows Your Secrets).

I really don't think this card is needed for these disciplines (considering which vampires would likely encourage use of this card).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
14 Dec 2011 00:25 #18325 by Serazahr
Though with exception of the Inner Circle and the Brujah, these Vampires are comparatively rarely played.
When was the last time you saw Melisande or Lernean?

The Euro Brujah have second Tradition, which I think makes them not need this card. The inner circle are often played but very rarely as a wall.

So I think this card will allow the less popular vampires to have a better deck building option.

Also you are totally ignoring the inferior version. There are 116 vampires that can use the inferior version and 40 of those have no Auspex or Animalism.
So I think there is a lot of room for using the inferior version.

If you think this card is too strong, do you have an idea of how to balance it.

More
14 Dec 2011 05:44 #18339 by Juggernaut1981
Problem for me with this card is that it would be incredibly easy to play your card and then play as many flicks as I would like. I exploit a similar trick in my Lasombra deck by playing Guard Dogs and Deflection. But Guard Dogs will only untap me during a bleed.

I have used Melisande in a Aus-Cel-Gun deck before (very solid having free additional attacks).

Cesewayo having a full untap option means they can choose what to block and flick the bleeds (using :DOM:).

Eurobrujah would pack this card so they could:
1. Play it at :CEL::DOM: to untap during a bleed
2. Play 2nd Trad and then at :cel::dom: to get an extra intercept. Possibly followed by Deflection.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
14 Dec 2011 08:11 - 14 Dec 2011 08:12 #18354 by Ankha

:cel::dom: +1 intercept. If this vampire successfully blocks a younger vampire this action, you may cancel the resulting combat. If you do so tap this vampire.
:CEL::DOM: Untap this Vampire.

What do you think?

I intentionally left out ally, because even Obedience cant do that. The one blood cost is mostly for celerity giving an intercept. Rooftop Shadow has the limitation of the acting minion having no celerity, this doesn't but therefore the dominate version is slightly weaker than obedience, in that it only works on a successful block.

The superior version I think is balanced in that it needs both on superior, but obviously an unconditional untap is strong.

It's a good card, but I'd prefer it to use cel/for rather than cel/dom. Dominate (even when coupled to celerity) doesn't need an untap card.
cel/for, on the other hand, has already Forced March that is in line with your superior effect, and both disciplines are a little weaker than dominate and are good candidates to get a little boost.
Of course, in that case, inferior effect should be changed.

Something like:

Name: -
Discipline: Celerity/Fortitude
[cel][for] +1 intercept. If this vampire successfully blocks, he or she may prevent 1 damage in the resulting combat.
[CEL][FOR] Untap this vampire.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 14 Dec 2011 08:12 by Ankha.

More
14 Dec 2011 14:37 #18382 by jamesatzephyr

:CEL::DOM: Untap this Vampire.

What do you think?

I'd be interested to know what prompted the thought.

Not a "Look, here are 40 vampires who can play it" sort of thing. More a question of whether there was a particular playstyle you thought this would enable that was currently substandard, or whether it would provide a tool for a deck style that is currently too weak.

As others have mentioned, many of the vampires who can play cel/dom effectively already seem to be doing quite well in the first place. So I'd be interested to know what the motivation was (which seems unlikely to be "Euro-Brujah need to do better"), and see if there's a good way to achieve it.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds