file Card idea: Hideous Execution

15 Dec 2011 08:04 - 15 Dec 2011 08:22 #18527 by Ankha
Name: Hideous Execution
Cardtype: Political Action
Requires a ready archbishop, cardinal, priscus or regent.
Choose a ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah. If the referendum is successful, put this card on that vampire. If that vampire is burned, his or her controller burns pool equal to the burned vampire's capacity. Burn this card if that vampire leaves play. A vampire may have only 1 Hideous Execution.

Vaguely inspired from Sabbat Pressure "This card would allow a combat deck with a bit of politic to oust a bit more effectively its prey."

Another try to give a flavorful referendum to the Sabbat. A hideous assassination is a good way to instill fear and disrupt a Methuselah's ressources.
This ones combines vote and fight (a bit like Anathema). It can be removed by tricks such as Banishment, Descent into Darkness, etc. that removes you temporarily from the game without making you burn (Golconda works of course, but for other reasons :))
Few players play cards such as Decapitate or Amaranth, even if burning vampires is a sure road to victory. But it's quite hard to pull off.
It's a good card against "free" vampires, that is vampires influenced out and then Villeined. It results in no pool gain and a big loss of transfers.

Possible applications:
- a vote deck using Amaranth to burn the vampire. Requires some tricks like Disarm + Amaranth.
- a prince / archbishop deck relying on Anathema + Savage Execution (requires different titles, two political actions and some combat cards to drop the target to 0 blood)
- a Red List deck where you're going to burn vampires anyway.

Possible abuses: played on a 11-cap vampire, it means a loss of 11 pool. But:
- if you play a 11-cap, you'll probably have votes to counterbalance
- burning a 11-cap is not that easy due to the number of cards they have access to, and the amount of blood they may have (if you don't play Obedience or ways to protect your 11-cap, that's a shame... Anamathema would have burned you much easily anyway).

Thoughts?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 08:22 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2011 08:47 - 15 Dec 2011 08:50 #18529 by johannes
I do not like that it is super effective against big vampires and quite useless against weenies* (I mean 3 pool damage is nice, but passing a vote and then burning the guy. Rather have Fame). So probably something like "burns 3 pool half of the capacity of the chosen vampire (round up)". Also I would add "if that vampire is burned [during combat]" else it becomes very abusable with other burn stuff (i.e Fear of Mekhet..).

* big vampires being Villeined are quite prominent in the current meta. That doesn´t mean creating silver bullets against them will make good cards. The cards still need to be generally useful to make good decks.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 08:50 by johannes.

More
15 Dec 2011 08:59 - 15 Dec 2011 09:01 #18530 by Ankha

I do not like that it is super effective against big vampires and quite useless against weenies* (I mean 3 pool damage is nice, but passing a vote and then burning the guy. Rather have Fame).

If you're planning to hose weenies, use Neonate Breach instead. Super effective against weenies, much less effective against mid-caps and high-caps.

So probably something like "burns 3 pool half of the capacity of the chosen vampire (round up)".

Do you mean 3 pool plus... ?

Also I would add "if that vampire is burned [during combat]" else it becomes very abusable with other burn stuff (i.e Fear of Mekhet..).

I'd say "during an action" then. Because there's also Society of Leopold, but I want it to trigger on a diablerie action too.

* big vampires being Villeined are quite prominent in the current meta. That doesn´t mean creating silver bullets against them will make good cards. The cards still need to be generally useful to make good decks.

It's not the principal goal of the card, just a side-effect.
In an average game, you'll play it on a 8-cap vampire and try to burn him. If your prey plays weenie, it's not very efficient indeed but still playable (just like Neonate Breach).
I don't see the card as a silver bullet at all, but a way to do pool damage albeit a big effort.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 09:01 by Ankha.

More
15 Dec 2011 11:07 #18539 by miketheknife
IMHO, the "during an action" clause is totally necessary.

The burn pool effect could be "2 plus half of the burned vampire's capacity (rounded down)". That will make a pool burn from 2 (1 cap) to 7 (11 cap), that would balance the power of the pool burn effect.

Cheers! ^.^

More
15 Dec 2011 11:25 #18541 by Boris The Blade
What is the point of the "Burn this card if that vampire leaves play" clause? Can't we just remove it to make the card text lighter?

More
15 Dec 2011 12:38 #18543 by Ankha

What is the point of the "Burn this card if that vampire leaves play" clause? Can't we just remove it to make the card text lighter?

Yeah, it was to give an escape route to the vampire, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Prince of Paris, France

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds