file Card idea: Hideous Execution

15 Dec 2011 12:40 #18544 by Ankha
Name: Hideous Execution
Cardtype: Political Action
Requires a ready archbishop, cardinal, priscus or regent.
Choose a ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah. If the referendum is successful, put this card on that vampire. If that vampire is burned during an action, his or her controller burns pool equal to 2 plus half the burned vampire's capacity (round down). A vampire may have only 1 Hideous Execution.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2011 18:51 #18574 by Drain
I like the card's concept, sort of like a reverse Anathema, only a fair bit trickier to pull off. I have to say it still feels somewhat overpowered to me, once you factor in how a dedicated vote deck with a combat angle (instead of the other way around) could possibly abuse the whole deal.

Aggravated pokes with a follow-up amaranth/diablerie action are not that easy to accomplish but they do deny your prey a possibly irreplaceable minion... add to that a 4-5 pool loss and you're probably crossing the threshold.

What I'm saying is that combat by itself is not supposed to generate huge pool losses, in this case comparable even to bleed - the pool loss main strategy - since it already generates minion removal and coupling such a powerful effect with more than trivial pool denial is not really desirable from a game balance standpoint.

A possible way to balance the card might be to require that the vampire be empty first, making it easier for the defending player and more likely to require a non-trivial combat package from the part of the attacker.

Drain

More
15 Dec 2011 19:01 #18578 by Ohlmann

I have to say it still feels somewhat overpowered to me, once you factor in how a dedicated vote deck with a combat angle (instead of the other way around) could possibly abuse the whole deal.

I think you just don't understand how tricky this vote is.

You must pass it, then kill the damn vampire (most likely needing to win another vote or lose a minion), and at the end you make .... 7 pool damage. At most.

Compare it to Lily Prelude, Parity Shift, or even Banishment and you will see that this card require a MASSIVE amount of additional work for a somewhat minor gain. In fact, an amaranth + this vote will usually do less damage than 2 KRC. And will cause you a lot more problems.

This card is still pretty neat, and the psychological impact may help to make your prey panic or otherwise misplay, but really, it's not a specially efficient way to kill your prey.

Don't be too fearful with card power. It may finish about as useful as finding the path if we pile up restrictions.

More
15 Dec 2011 19:13 - 15 Dec 2011 19:14 #18581 by johannes
I think my 3 + 1/2 cap(round up) proposal would actually make the card stronger. Yes you do "only" 9 on an 11 cap but you do 5 instead of 2 on a 2-cap (where the vote will be easier to pass since the 2-cap has no votes and people won´t care that much). In a deck like this the card needs to take care of weenies as well, there will be no room for Neonate Breach since you night combat, vote and some stealth to even pass the vote action plus defense package.

Alternate angel: introduce an inbuilt rush with the card but make it destroyable by a vote.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 19:14 by johannes.

More
15 Dec 2011 20:27 - 15 Dec 2011 20:28 #18592 by Ankha

I think my 3 + 1/2 cap(round up) proposal would actually make the card stronger. Yes you do "only" 9 on an 11 cap but you do 5 instead of 2 on a 2-cap (where the vote will be easier to pass since the 2-cap has no votes and people won´t care that much). In a deck like this the card needs to take care of weenies as well, there will be no room for Neonate Breach since you night combat, vote and some stealth to even pass the vote action plus defense package.

Adjustment is a always bit tricky. And it's not 5 but 4 pool against a 2 cap.
Capacity2 + 1/2 cap (round down)3 + 1/2 cap (round up)

Your formula seems a bit overpowered against 1-cap.
I'd rather make it 3+X/2 (round down).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 20:28 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds