file card ideas: more ado about the gangrel antitribu

27 Jan 2012 23:54 #21880 by Molloy

When trying to balance a minion card, you can't look at any group of vampires and say what can make them competitive. You have to look at the "best" of the vampires that are able to play the card, and say what can be done to help others without making these vampires over powered. So in this case. You need to ask yourself WWED. What Would Enkidu Do? The answer is Too Much. These cards are too strong with Enkidu. The only way to help City Gangrel is to only allow new card effects to affect lower cap vampires, effect equipment/equip actions , or non-animal retainers.

Of course I thought about Enkidu (who isn't so fantastically great anyway). That's one of the reasons the cards would provide no benefit unless you control three or more ready !Gangrel.

:hosk: :ani: :chi: :for: :nec: :AUS: :cap6: Sabbat. Animals, Wraiths and Zombies Molloy recruits or employs get an additional life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2012 06:42 #21890 by Ohlmann

What Would Enkidu Do? The answer is Too Much. These cards are too strong with Enkidu.

I can't see how thoses card would help Aksynia or Enkidu. They are rarely with 2 other !gangrel, and the bonus is not exactly overwhelming for a master. Abbot exist, for example.

And I agree that Enkidu is playable but not that strong.

More
28 Jan 2012 08:10 #21897 by jamesatzephyr

Thematically, it mike make more sense if the character of the pack can only change when a new vampire joins.

"When a Gangrel Antitribu enters your ready region, you may burn this card and search your hand or library for another Pack Identity to put into play."

Then Pack Identities could conceivably be used to adjust your deck's strengths to match new predators or preys, and using enough to consistently draw one early enough wouldn't leave you with a bunch of dead cards.

I kinda like the idea, but I'd be tempted to not make it conditional on "enters the ready region", since there's potential for stupid torpor bouncing tricks which I wouldn't really want to encourage.

Perhaps "when you gain control of..." or something. Which should cover all the usual influence out and Creation Rites and such.

More
28 Jan 2012 12:49 #21914 by Ashur
I have many times suggested a similar concept, but for any low-cap Sabbat vamps. The Pack-idea in the Sabbat is almost invisible in VTES.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
28 Jan 2012 14:14 #21922 by jamesatzephyr

I have many times suggested a similar concept, but for any low-cap Sabbat vamps. The Pack-idea in the Sabbat is almost invisible in VTES.

Giving halfway decent boosts to small cap vampires is pretty tricky in V:TES.

Your common or garden pack/coterie/gang/something in WoD is often a slightly mixed bag, which partly reflects what player characters tend to do. Yeah, it might be biased one way or the other, but there's often several different clans and such. It gives the players different options when facing a problem, and it can give the Storyteller options in reverse - oh, they've taken the unexpected diplomatic option, so BillyBob the Setite will...

Obviously, there are some exceptions. Some clans - particularly the Giovanni and the Tremere - interact less fluidly with the outside world. That sort of banding together tends to be reasonably represented-ish in clan cards, though.

In V:TES, 90% of decks are focused around common disciplines and/or clans. A weenie deck isn't a mixed bag of a !Ventrue with Fortitude and Dominate, a Lasombra maxed out on Obtenebration and Potence, and that Pander with Protean and Thaumaturgy. No, it's a lean, mean 100% Dominate machine. It's already competitive, it's already a problem for many decks to deal with - so adding a choice of extra, potentially powerful options on top is inviting things to get painful.

You could, potentially, start putting together a card that says "Requires three Sabbat vampires of under X capacity with at least Y different disciplines" - but no-one plays decks like that.

More
28 Jan 2012 15:32 #21929 by Lech
Warning: Spoiler!

It's card design problem. You would see a lot more mixed clan decks if discipline cards would be 2 in 1 (say :AUS: OR :SER: combo that gives intercept on auspex and do some corruption stuff on serpentis), we would see more diverse crypts.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds