file Submission: Wulfgar

04 Apr 2014 02:09 - 04 Apr 2014 02:10 #60613 by TorranceCircle
An idea I had that could start looking at the roads in Dark Ages. The roads are kind of like the paths. Wulfgar walked the Road of Kings.

Name: Wulfgar
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Gangrel
Level: Basic
Group: 5
Capacity: 8
Discipline: PRO FOR AUS ani pot

(Card text)
Independent: Recruiting mortal allies or putting a vampire into play cost Wulfgar 1 less blood or pool.

Art notes: Wulfgar roams the lands of Scandinavia wearing an animal pelt and carrying a walking stick. Excitement fills the villages of Iceland when this bearded figure approaches.

World of Darkness reference: Road of Kings p.96

How does this card address a compelling game need?: This card explores the vampires who chose to "walk" the roads of the Cainites in Vampire: Dark Ages.

Created by: Andy Fernandez

Other possible text:
Independent: 2 votes (titled). Wulfgar cannot be the target of frenzy cards played by other methuselahs.

Independent: 1 vote (titled). Wulfgar may take a +1 stealth action to ghoul a mortal ally. Allies ghouled by Wulfgar are considered non-mortal and may play protean cards as a vampire with basic protean.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 02:10 by TorranceCircle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 02:31 #60616 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Submission: Wulfgar
Wulfgar is 5th Gen, so that'd make him more of a 10-cap.

Animalism 5, Auspex 3, Fortitude 5, Potence 5, Presence 3, Protean 6, so disciplines could look like:

:aus::pre::ANI::FOR::POT::PRO:

Potentially bumping up :aus: to :AUS: and/or :pre: to :PRE:.

Protean of 6 could be :PRO: plus a Protean-themed special.

"He Embraces rarely, since he prefers to limit the number of his childer, although he has created progeny over the years."

"Rather than Embracing, Wulfgar prefers to make ghouls of his most promising warriors, giving them great strength and savagery without making them into potential rivals."

Seems like he shouldn't have a special pertaining to bringing vampires into play. Also, Allies 1 in his Backgrounds doesn't scream "give me an ally special". However, Retainers 5 plus his story bit about creating ghouls makes me think a retainer-related special is in order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TorranceCircle, Ashur

More
04 Apr 2014 06:20 #60628 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Re: Submission: Wulfgar
Why not a Demdemeh-like special ?

Or something along the line of :
"During your untap phase, if Wulfgar is ready, he can recruit a retainer from your hand. Cost and requirement apply as normal"
The following user(s) said Thank You: TorranceCircle

More
04 Apr 2014 09:04 #60630 by jamesatzephyr

Why not a Demdemeh-like special ?

Or something along the line of :
"During your untap phase, if Wulfgar is ready, he can recruit a retainer from your hand. Cost and requirement apply as normal"

With a ghouling background, I'd also add something like "Give that retainer an additional life." But then the more general question is whether a V:TES 10 cap would want lots of retainers. Possibly - getting JS Simmons and Tasha for free isn't entirely shabby. But many others? Wolf Companion and friends are usually a bit poo. If we're dropping to minor Auspex, Raven Spy, Raptor etc. feel a bit less exciting, now I can't play Eagle Sight or have an awesome blocking special. And if I'm putting enough retainers in my deck to make such a special reasonably worthwhile, are other vampires also having to play them?

Looking at fatties in group 4/5, the Gangrel don't really seem to come out of it with a solid ousting strategy - Group 2 gets them Ingrid and Stanislava, which gives them titles and Dominate to add on to their other assets. In 4/5:

Ariadne (g5, 8) gets ANI/PRO/FOR/chi, and extra blood when hunting.
Randal (g4, 8) gets ANI/PRO/FOR/AUS, a one vote title, and a combat special.
Viktor (g5, 9) is more of a city Gangrel, with obf/ANI/CEL/PRO/PRE
Gwyedd (g4, 10) gets you ANI/DEM/FOR/POT/PRO/tem, primogen, anti-blocking special. Dementation is cool, as is Tem, but little synergy with anyone else.
Mictlan (g5, 10) gets you pre/pro/ANI/FOR/POT/THA, and some combat/diablerie specials.
Fakir (g4, 11) gets you abo/ANI/FOR/PRE/PRO/THA, some anti-vote special, +strength, +bleed.

So I'm not really feeling like group 4/5 (or a future 5/6) is getting much out of another huge Gangrel with POT/ANI/FOR/pro+. Inferior Presence is giving me not that much ousting power over Deep Song, given Aire of Elation is a bit expensive just for the inferior, and again a slight awkwardness in synergy with the rest of 4/5.

It's not feeling - so far - like a vampire who makes me think "Ooh, there's a cool deck idea" or "He's a must for..." or "That shoddy deck I have will work so much better with..."

More
04 Apr 2014 10:20 #60634 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Re: Submission: Wulfgar
Yes but don't forget that an entire new set of gangrel is added in the currently playtested new indy set.

And maybe it is not too late to add a new cool canon-related gangrel ^^ ( I really don't know, juste saying ^^)

More
04 Apr 2014 19:12 #60651 by TorranceCircle

With a ghouling background, I'd also add something like "Give that retainer an additional life." But then the more general question is whether a V:TES 10 cap would want lots of retainers. Possibly - getting JS Simmons and Tasha for free isn't entirely shabby. But many others? Wolf Companion and friends are usually a bit poo. If we're dropping to minor Auspex, Raven Spy, Raptor etc. feel a bit less exciting, now I can't play Eagle Sight or have an awesome blocking special. And if I'm putting enough retainers in my deck to make such a special reasonably worthwhile, are other vampires also having to play them?

So I'm not really feeling like group 4/5 (or a future 5/6) is getting much out of another huge Gangrel with POT/ANI/FOR/pro+.

I thought with superior auspex he would mix well with Randall. You could indeed have ravens and eagle sights. If he is a ten cap, then maybe superior is not out of the question as Ben mentioned. Murder of Crows for free might be nice too.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds