file Submission: Blinding Speed

14 Jun 2017 03:17 - 05 Jul 2017 21:03 #82195 by jblacey
Name: Blinding Speed
Cardtype: Reaction
Cost: None
Capacity: Not applicable
Discipline: Celerity or Temporis
Clan: None
Vampires may burn a blood to use Celerity instead of Temporis to meet requirements for this card.
[tem] Only usable at the end of another Methuselah's minion phase. This vampire attempts a minion phase action. Cards played by this vampire during this action are not replaced until your next unlock phase.
[TEM] As above, +1 stealth even if stealth is not yet needed.

Flavor text: "Time is unforgiving." - Krassimir

Art Notes: The visual would be a split image of a vampire with suit and pocket watch taking a step. His rear foot and black half should be blurred while his front is clear.

World of Darkness reference: Vampire Storyteller's Handbook (Revised Edition) page 42 and 43 describe that Clotho's Gift can be used mimic the powers of Celery but a high cost of health levels of damage. Instead of damage for VtES the cost was changed to prevent replacing of cards, which has the benefit of both preventing multi action abuse and severely punishes combat while using this card.

How does this card address a compelling game need?: Temporis actions are expensive and this is a useful action enabler without blood cost for Temporis. The card allows a player to reduce the disadvantage of leaving a minion untapped. Unlike other permanent effects like Madness Network or Enkil Cog this card also has a surprise factor. The card is useful at inferior and gives an incentive to build Brujah & True Brujah decks.

Created by: Justin Lacey

Update: July 5th 2017
Here is text from the last update

Name: Blinding speed
Type: :reaction:
Play at the end of another Methuselah's minion phase.
:cel: This vampire burns a :blood: and may attempt an action. This vampire goes to torpor after the resolution of that action.
:tem: This vampire may attempt an action. Cards played by this vampire during this action are not replaced until your next unlock phase.
:TEM: As :tem: above, but the action is at +1 stealth, even if stealth is not yet needed.

"Time is unforgiving." -Krassimir
Last edit: 05 Jul 2017 21:03 by jblacey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2017 08:04 - 14 Jun 2017 08:05 #82197 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Submission: Blinding Speed
While I love (as a :trub: player) the effect on :tem:, I'd hate to see it on :cel:. Celerity is one of the most common disciplines as off-clan, and is sprinkled around Inner Circles. The last thing they need right now is more multi act and off-turn effects.

Even at the cost of a blood, no chance.

True Brujahs would love this.

Inner Circles would love this way, way too much.

It's a nice formula for a card though. :) I just feel that the power level on the 'outferior' would be way over the top even if it cost 2 or 3 blood. Those effects are immense, especially if it comes out of the blue.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 08:05 by Kraus.

More
14 Jun 2017 12:34 - 14 Jun 2017 12:39 #82200 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Blinding Speed
What if we play closer to theme of the card:

Vampires may burn a blood use Celerity instead of Temporis to meet requirements but they go to torpor after resolving the minion phase action.

This makes it play similar to Day Operation without the blocking restriction. It is meant to be a high risk / reward card to play and if my True Brujah is in torpor, subverted by Pentex or whatever... it would be really nice to not have a dead card in my hand, even if the cost was expensive. We could even give a Daring to Dawn effect, but I think Day Operation's text is harder to get around.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 12:39 by jblacey.

More
14 Jun 2017 13:31 - 14 Jun 2017 13:43 #82203 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Submission: Blinding Speed
Pretty nifty!

In that case I'd word the card as follows:

Name: Speed of Time
Cost: 1 :blood:
Playable by an unlocked minion when another Methuselah is about to end their minion phase, even if there is no action.
:cel: This vampire may attempt an action. This vampire goes to torpor after the resolution of that action.
:tem: This vampire may attempt an action. Cards played by this vampire during this action are not replaced until your next unlock phase.
:TEM: As :tem: above, but the action is at +1 stealth, even if stealth is not yet needed.

"Time if unforgiving." -Krassimir

Or, you could word it without a blood cost, and adit the :cel: clause as follows: "This vampire burns 2 blood to attempt an action. This vampire goes to torpor after the resolution of that action."

I'm actually enjoying the card quite a bit. It'd help Nu the Pillar and Ibn-Khaldun out a lot, at least the latter of which is just so bad as he's the only True Brujah around that doesn't have any specific build or skill that could be designed around. Shalmath enjoys this a lot as well, but it's been quite some time since we last saw him either.

How'd you feel about that?

Krausedit\\ Only problem here is that Temporis usually has two differing effects instead of a boosted one for superior, as Amulet of Temporal Perception and other inferior only Temporis shenanigans are so rare. That said, if you have have ideas or such for another effect for either inferior or superior, that might be a bit more consistent with Temporis' previous designs.

Not that it has to be, but I just kinda remembered that.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 14 Jun 2017 13:43 by Kraus.

More
14 Jun 2017 14:13 #82206 by jblacey
I am thinking about redesigning the cards I submitted to use the outferior card design, but Temporis is a bit of a special case because True Brujah have the design challenge that they can't play cards requiring Celerity. Which is problem because even though they wouldn't use the Celerity card text, but they couldn't play the card because Celerity icon would be in the requirement slot of the card if I understand the rules correctly.

The text: "use Celerity instead of Temporis to meet requirements" is the only way I can think of getting around that restriction since the only requirement is Temporis and Celerity is merely mimicking the effect in a pinch.

Having a different superior text is fine. The inferior text is really the most important part of the card.

More
14 Jun 2017 14:59 #82209 by jblacey
Let's see if this better. We shouldn't need the unlocked minion clause since only unlocked minions can normally play reactions. Wake doesn't actually unlock so I am not sure we need to be concerned. Also I don't think we need a clause about not requiring actions to being played since we already have triggers which aren't actions in the game, such as influence phase, unlock phase, referendums, master phase, etc. In fact, Madness Network already functions in a similar manner.

Name: Blinding speed
Play at the end of another Methuselah's minion phase. Vampires may use :cel: instead of :tem: to meet requirements, but must burn a :blood: and go to torpor after the resolution of the action.

"Time is unforgiving." -Krassimir

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds