file Submission: Ritual of Awakening

26 Jun 2017 19:59 #82361 by jblacey
I think it is far more likely that it would find it's way into the most degenerate decks and make them more powerful. If we are lucky, the card is only used to unlock Helicopter as a cute trick but the effect is too powerful for too little of cost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2017 19:09 #82377 by Hakuron

I think it is far more likely that it would find it's way into the most degenerate decks and make them more powerful. If we are lucky, the card is only used to unlock Helicopter as a cute trick but the effect is too powerful for too little of cost.

Maybe I am missing something, but of what use would be an unlocked Helicopter to a reacting player?
Of course, the chance to unlock e. g. Channel 10 would be nice, but the same effect (I mean +2 intercept) could be achieved with one superior Enhanced Senses. And since there is the On the Qui Vive drawback, I would also risk to lack defensive options the next turn ...

Since V:tES is a game where most of the times card flow is important, I would most definitely be in for big trouble, if I were stuck on reaction cards I cannot use.
So if there is no obvious way to abuse Ritual of Awakening I would love to see it in playtesting, at least. :)

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

More
27 Jun 2017 22:15 - 27 Jun 2017 22:19 #82380 by jblacey

Maybe I am missing something, but of what use would be an unlocked Helicopter to a reacting player?

Player 1 has a Malkavian in play with a Madness Network.
Play a Ritual of Awakening during Player 2's turn.
At the end of Player 2's turn, Player 1 bleeds Player 2, then unlocks with Helicopter.
Play a Ritual of Awakening during Player 3's turn.
At the end of Player 3's turn, Player 1 bleeds Player 2, then unlocks with Helicopter.
Play a Ritual of Awakening during Player 4's turn.
At the end of Player 4's turn, Player 1 bleeds Player 2, then unlocks with Helicopter.
Play a Ritual of Awakening during Player 5's turn.
At the end of Player 5's turn, Player 1 bleeds Player 2 (or maybe Player 3 at this point).

The card should probably have a blood cost, or tap the reacting vampire either one would stop this combo.

Or better yet, Maskia + Enkil Cog + Ritual of Awakening.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2017 22:19 by jblacey.

More
27 Jun 2017 22:41 - 28 Jun 2017 01:43 #82382 by jblacey
"Only one Ritual of Awakening can be played on a card between your untap phases." The first time I read this text I thought you were saying only one Ritual of Awakening could be played during a turn.

It might be cleaner if it was written like this...

"Until your next unlock phase, a vampire you control cannot play another Ritual of Awakening."

Otherwise it is ambiguous whose unlock phase you are talking about and if you mean no vampire from any player may play Ritual of Awakening until your next unlock phase.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2017 01:43 by jblacey.

More
28 Jun 2017 08:18 - 28 Jun 2017 08:19 #82383 by Kraus
It could just as well follow the wording of something that already exists:

A minion may play only one On the Qui Vive between his or her untap phases.

I'd say rather this, as it's already something that people are playing with.

With these cards it might be good to try to include comprehensive cards lists that anyone thinks might be too effective with when stating there's a problem with whatever. The problem with many cards isn't definitely that bad as you might think.

Pool locations for example mostly (with the exception of the Laibon one I believe?) can only be tapped for gain during the influence phase.

Same goes for Metro Underground - only during discard phase.

The Masika trick could already be done with Clan Impersonation and Madness Network.

Madness Network + Helicopter seems just a different version of Reversal of Fortunes to be honest, but probably for less effect.

Both scenarios require two clans, plenty of setup and general wonkiness. It's powerful, but nothing that could've already be done.

The point with media locations is valid - often you're just better off playing extra intercept, but this might be a bit easier to cycle. Which would be a good thing for Black Hand, something that isn't that powerful on its own.

Super speed Dreams of the Sphinx might be a bit weird, but I dunno. Get those contests going.

If anything, this card seems like a fun little trick that some jankier players will be dying to make fun decks for, but little more. Enkil Cog might prove problematic. But once again, you'll have to tech in that Black Hand.

It could cost a blood though, that's fair. But just for balancing after play testing. Initially it really doesn't seem to me any better than most other things that can already be done.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 28 Jun 2017 08:19 by Kraus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
28 Jun 2017 15:36 #82388 by jblacey
I agree, after thinking about it.

A minion may play only one Ritual of Awakening between their unlock phases.

Probably want to get rid of "his or her" and it shortens the text.

Pool locations for example mostly (with the exception of the Laibon one I believe?) can only be tapped for gain during the influence phase.

Laibon has Powerbase: Tshwane which can be locked to reduce the pool cost of a card by 1.

The easiest way to prevent abuse is to give it a blood cost, but it may not be necessary.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds