10 Jul 2017 16:19 - 14 Aug 2017 20:53 #82546 by jblacey
Name: Jules Carver
Capacity: 6
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: :bruj:
Discipline: :CEL: :PRE: :pot: :aus:
Group: 5
Camarilla Primogen.
Your True Brujah :trub: are not scarce. During your master phase, your ready Brujah :bruj: and Brujah Antitribu !bruj! may burn 2 blood to change their Celerity to Temporis of the same level; they will lose and can no longer gain Celerity.

Art notes:

He keeps an old silver pocket watch on him at all times. His hair is short and grey. He wears a refined clothes and is immaculate. He is a classical musician and may be seen with a violin which he practices daily. He has haunting blue eyes and a somber expression as though the weight of the world is resting on his shoulders at all times.

World of Darkness Reference:

Jules Carver is a LARP character. I got permission before submitting this character. He was originally a Cult of Ecstasy Mage before his embrace and has been a friend to many True Brujah. He studied Temporis and it's impact on the Time sphere. His notable achievement is that he used blood from True Brujah and Brujah to create a ritual to allow Brujah to convert Celerity in their blood back to Temporis.

How does this card address a compelling game need?:

Currently Group 5 has no Brujah primogen. In group 5, there are only 3 True Brujah he can not play. His discipline set matches Marguerite Foccart and the inclusion of :aus: means he fits in with Group 4-5 Brujah as well as True Brujah that also have Auspex. His ability is striking but it is not as powerful as it may seem. The really important thing is that his ability helps with crypts. He can give himself Temporis to play a card that requires it, but even if he is in torpor you can give Temporis it to another Brujah/Brujah Anti at the cost of two blood. The deck I suspect that he will be played in is Brujah or Brujah Anti bleed/vote deck that may mix in True Brujah. His ability means that crypts are not forced to stack multiple copies of the same True Brujah just to play Temporis and if your True Brujah is in torpor you aren’t stuck with dead cards in your hand.

Created by:
Justin Lacey

Update: July 24th 2017

I have learned a lot from my original design. Most importantly, ignoring Scarce is bad and alternative card design is good. The original version was too wordy and too powerful but maybe not in the obvious way. According to create a clan option a 6 capacity Brujah should only have 6 points. However, every 6 cap Brujah is at least 6.5 points. Some are considerable more *cough* Anvil is 7.5 *cough* Anyway, I am going to change him based on the idea that 6.5 is okay.

Jules Carver
6 Capacity Group 5 :bruj:
:CEL: :PRE: :pot: :aus:
Camarilla. Jules may play cards that require Temporis :tem: at the basic level, with the cost increased by 1 blood.

Update: August 14th 2017

I took some time and really put some thought into what would make this a viable card. After some playing testing this is what I found:

1) The :pot: is basically worthless, main use was for Iron Glare.
2) The :aus: is good but :AUS: would be great. He shines with Quicksilver Contemplation.
3) Mixing Celerity with Temporis isn't necessary as long as the vampire can backup another True Brujah. The best vampire to combine with Jules is Al-Muntathir, God's Witness, who notably doesn't have Potence, however they share similar disciplines otherwise.
4) :tem: is good, but it really hurts to not have the option of :TEM:.
5) I recommend using Summon History from Al-Muntathir to put Jules into play, it really helps with the consistency of the deck to reliably be able to put two vampires in play with :TEM:. Super nice that Jules isn't Scarce.
6) The :CEL: really isn't as valuable as I hoped with it's only practical application being for combat and ultimately it became wasted points. Better to remove and replace it with :TEM: and give him the normal :trub: weakness otherwise.

Here is what I think will be a better and simple design:

Jules Carver
:AUS: :PRE: :TEM:
Camarilla Primogen. Jules cannot play cards that require Celerity :cel:.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2017 20:53 by jblacey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2017 17:37 #82757 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Jules Carver
Pretty big change that is closer in design to current cards.

Jules Carver
:CEL: :PRE: :pot: :aus:
Camarilla. Jules may play cards that require Temporis :tem: at the basic level, with the cost increased by 1 blood.

More
25 Jul 2017 12:21 #82768 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Submission: Jules Carver
Has there been any change in the canon with respect to Celerty and Temporis not playing nicely with each other?

More
25 Jul 2017 12:50 #82772 by jblacey
Mechanically, they have pretty harsh rules for Celerity and Temporis. You are suppose to convert half your Celerity Rating over to Temporis if you do the conversion. Carver did that, but he had the ritual so could flip back and forth. The game designers didn't like the idea of players getting multiple attacks from Temporis and Celerity, so instead they made it binary. Basically one or the other... but not both at the same time.

Thematically, it is suppose to because you are effectively flipping a switch in your blood on one side you have Celerity and on the other you have Temporis. True Brujah never had the switch flipped, but Brujah did with a ritual that converted the Celerity in their Blood to Temporis. All Carver did was find a way to reverse the ritual by studying blood with Temporis in it and blood with Celerity in it.

Probably the easiest thing to do might be:

Jules Carver
:TEM: :PRE: :pot: :aus:
Camarilla Primogen.

I was just concerned it would be boring... because it isn't really telling the story.

More
14 Aug 2017 20:57 #83104 by jblacey
New update, explanation above in the original post.

Jules Carver
:AUS: :PRE: :TEM:
Camarilla Primogen. Jules cannot play cards that require Celerity :cel:.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds