file More political actions like Dramatic Upheaval?

20 Jun 2018 09:13 #88307 by Ratadin

Ratadin, if I'm understanding you correctly, you would like to see Political Cards require disciplines (among other things?) I've had that thought before, and there is precedence for that sort of thing (:doca: :MEL:) but I thought it was one of the crazier ideas. I for sure would like to see referendums requiring disciplines, and, if the disciplines were taken to be more abstract in nature (which I think they should be), we could even have :POT: and :AUS: Political Actions.

Nope, not what I meant :P

What I meant was that political actions, as a whole, should be understood as a single discipline, because that is what they are: what limits them is your ability to cast votes, the same way Enchant Kindred is limited by your ability to play Presence cards. And, because we can understand Political Actions as a whole as an single discipline, we should treat each individual political card as if they were discipline cards when it comes to comparing them (I'm thinking about your take on KRC) or developing new cards.

To elaborate, and going along my example on my original post, on Dominate you have Govern the Unaligned and Conditioning, which are 2 really good bleed cards. You cannot create new bleeding action and a new bleeding modifier to replace those two without either having a power creep, or having a "worse bleed" but paired with some gimmick. A good example for this would be Confusion and Eyes of Chaos: one of them gives you more bleed, but the other gives you something else that you would consider.

If to this we add that, even though it can be boring, the game is won by burning your opponent's pool, it would be no surprise (nor problematic) to see most dominate heavy decks packing some governs and some conditionings, because it is a good winning condition for a deck that can afford it. You can pair it with other stuff, but unless you have a better bleeding/pool burning option, you will pack them.

So, knowing this, and treating Political Actions as a discipline, it is logical, and not that problematic, that KRC is packed on most political decks, because, unless you have a better pool burning options (like lily prelude or parity shift), that's your best bet. Now, we could, and should, have more political actions that burn pool and have some gimmick with them besides burning pool, but in the end we will still having KRC around because that's what happens when you have 25 years of cards legal in all tournaments: you'll end up with the most optimized cards available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2018 22:51 #88319 by ReverendRevolver
Ratadin is entirely correct, but fear not;

We still get new ART on old cards occasionally.

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds