file Design by storytelling

10 Sep 2011 00:18 #9850 by direwolf
Vampire started out as a storytelling medium. To that end, good story telling can inform interesting card design.

For example:

Yuri, the Talon, the inferior Brujah that he is has it out for the Tremere Chantry and sets out to burn the place down. Unfortunately, Astrid Thomas likes the Chantry like it is and attempts to stop him. A fight ensues and Yuri starts pounding down the walls of the Chantry bringing down the building on top of the two while they are fighting.

My card idea might start with:
Rubble
1 :blood:
:combat:
Only usable in a combat resulting from an action to burn a location.
:pot: Strike: burn the location that was a target of the action.

Now that seems a little powerful right? ok how about this:
:pot: Strike: if this minion is ready at the end of this combat, burn the location.

Yeah that seems a little more fair. But what should :POT: do? As above, with damage? I kinda like this idea:

:POT: As above, and put this card on the opposing minion. Burn this card instead of untapping the minion.

Maybe the card is too restrictive? After all, you can only do it when burning a location... we could try this:

Rubble
1 :blood:
:combat:
:pot: Strike: burn location attached to the opposing minion.
:POT: Only usable in a combat resulting from an action to burn a location. Strike: Burn the location and put this card on the opposing minion. Burn this card instead of untapping the minion.

The great thing about tackling design from this perspective is that the story is up to interpretation in it's translation to game mechanics. On top of that you have to balance the game mechanics so it's fair.

Go ahead and put your spin on my little story. Criticize my card idea, or tweak it. Or write your own story and see what people come up with for card ideas based on it.

Discuss.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds