file What are you giving to new players to get them started?

08 Aug 2012 04:00 #34442 by Juggernaut1981

Lonkka's script is very close to what I use when teaching the game. Then again I couldn't keep the Salt Lake City group alive so take that recommendation with a grain of salt...

Gentle pestering is my trick for keeping groups alive. Get people's numbers/Facebook/Email and just ask "How are you going? Haven't seen you playing VTES in a while..."

It can also be how you convert "Maybes" into "Yes".

The other trick I've found, and it has been easier to keep people playing since we changed venues (sure the group dropped off for a while but we've got a stable core of 6-12 now) is... Choose a venue with perks OTHER than VTES. Such as a nice club/bar where you can get drinks for sane prices, or food easily, or desserts, or even just having footy on a TV so you have something to do when you get knocked out a game early. Plus, even gamers appreciate nice furnishings... sometimes it even convinces them to stop thinking of hygiene as a greeting!

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2012 06:50 - 08 Aug 2012 07:52 #34451 by Lönkka

I find that the games I like best have very short rules books (more like two double-sided pages) and have self-explanatory cards (i.e. Guillotine, Ticket to Ride). Anything I can do to break down VTES into this is a success in my book ;)

Indeed so.
Good stuff-carry on! :D

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 07:52 by Lönkka. Reason: Added the quote

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 Aug 2012 07:37 #34457 by Ke.

Gentle pestering is my trick for keeping groups alive. Get people's numbers/Facebook/Email and just ask "How are you going? Haven't seen you playing VTES in a while..."

The London play group has a VTES Meetup page — I was sceptical at first, but it's attracted new players, has a built in reminders for existing players and seems to have helped built our play group back up.

www.meetup.com/London-VTES/

It may be useful for VTES groups to setup their own local version — also, if they use the VTES tag they'll also appear here: vtes.meetup.com/

More
08 Aug 2012 07:56 #34459 by Lönkka
Meetup page is good!

We've done that with Helsinki playgroup for years even if the dates for the weekly games are set:
vtes.orava.org/wiki/weeklygames

And ofr example Turku playgroups uses facebook to arrange their games.

Whatever way works is just fine.
Letting people know that enough players to form a table are gathering should help the indecisive minds to attend too.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
09 Aug 2012 01:47 - 09 Aug 2012 01:51 #34504 by Adonai

Golden rule of demoing is FFF
Fast, Furious and Fun.

PDF'd.

Attachment Golden_rule_of_demoing_by_Lonkka.pdf not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2012 01:51 by Adonai.

More
09 Aug 2012 06:09 #34509 by Lönkka

PDF'd.

Nice -thanks!

What I especially like is the fact that you managed to condense it to two sheets, so when printing you can make just one doublesided print. Or print the two pages side by side on one page and the textstill shouldn't be too small to read.

Nice touch was addiing the URL to my band's site B-)

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds