file When sending cards: Zero movement!

31 Aug 2012 06:31 #35665 by Ashur
I´ve have to say this out loud: When you send cards by mail, you have to pack them nice.

I´ve recently have a couple of deals where I got the cards packed in a rather sloppy fashion - one of them was from a large store, so it surprised me. They just placed the cards in a starter box, and the box in an envelope. No sleeves, no tape. Lots of movement, lots of card edges being rubbed against the inside of the box when the package being handled.

My advice: ZERO MOVEMENT. This means you make certain the cards WILL NOT move around in the container so that the edges can be damaged. Use sleeves, tape, paper, whatever. It is not difficult! You can do it!

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2012 15:32 #35692 by jhattara
My usual way to send cards is fool proof and dirt cheap: cut a piece (or two) of cardboard that fits into envelope, put cards in a sleeve, tape all sides of of the sleeve on a paper, fold the paper so it fits into the envelope, tape the paper on cardboard, seal the envelope with tape.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
05 Sep 2012 17:53 #36011 by prunesquallor
I recommend also using a top-loader inside of cardboard. Postal carriers will bend envelopes to fit them into mailboxes (whether or not they are marked "do not bend"). The combination of a top-loader and cardboard makes it too much work to bend, while one or the other on its own can fail.

For my store, my shipping method is :

A few cards go into a top-loader, wrapped in plastic wrap (I've also had cases where an envelope or package was left in the rain on a doorstep at delivery, so a little bit of waterproofing is good) which goes into a rigid cardboard photo mailer.

Anything more than 10 cards or so goes into a rigid plastic box, wrapped in plastic wrap, and into a bubble mailer.

I buy all the above in bulk, so for the casual trader the cost may be too much. But if you buy from anyone who's not giving you good protection from careless mail carriers, think of this - at the point that you buy the cards, they belong to you - how do you feel about the seller treating *your* cards poorly?

More
06 Sep 2012 05:19 #36037 by Ashur

Anything more than 10 cards or so goes into a rigid plastic box, wrapped in plastic wrap, and into a bubble mailer.

I don´t know if I get you, but this is the problem. Putting a rigid plastic box into plastic wrap and a bubble mailer protects the box, not the cards in the box. There have to be zero movement _inside the box_ for the cards not to get damaged - a lot of sellers don´t seem to understand that.

(I apologize if I misunderstand you!)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
06 Sep 2012 05:28 #36039 by Boris The Blade
I guess the platsic boxes he is talking about are much smaller than a starter box, more like a business card holder.

More
06 Sep 2012 15:12 #36074 by prunesquallor
Yes, the plastic boxes I'm talking about are designed for trading cards. Ultra Pro has some two-piece boxes (not the hinged ones, those are horrible) that are very shallow and will hold 20 cards with minimal movement inside the box.

Sometimes I'll wrap the cards in plastic wrap before putting them into the box, the stickiness of the plastic keeps them from moving around at all inside the box.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds