file "White Elephant" Vampire Draft

19 Dec 2012 14:28 #43118 by Jeff Kuta
The holidays are here! People are giving gifts and having parties. One type of gift-giving party/event that is common in the U.S. is the "White Elephant" type. Usually, participants wrap gifts up to a certain value and put them in a central pile. Then participants, in an arbitrary order, pick a gift from the middle of the pile, or steal a gift that has already been chosen. Then, everyone opens them at the end and much hilarity ensues.

So, I thought wouldn't this be an interesting way to encourage some pseudo-trading among playgroups? To that end, I present "White Elephant Vampire Trading":

Each Methuselah brings 2 vampires which they *do not want* from their trade stash (no Jyhad backs). Players are seated as normal for a game. Before the game starts, each player turns up the two vampires. Starting with Methuselah #1 who has 1 transfer, draft the vampires. In a five-player game, the draft would go 1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1. In a four-player game, it would be 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1. Since they are vampires that nobody wants, theoretically everyone should get something better!

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude_PL, KevinM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2012 16:00 #43119 by Daidalos
This actually seems like fun. But I was thinking: how about playing with those vampires? Turning it into a "draft". So you'd have to have special deck, designed to make use of these unusable vampires so that you could still play the game. The thing I'd liked about this kind of play is that really exotic vampires would see play. Imagine placing the 20 vampires (in a 5 player game) in the middle of the table, then you`d use transfers as usally, but other players could try to influence out the same vampire. Once you'd put enough counters on the vampire of your choice, other player's counters would return to their pool. there would have to be just one condition though: you couldn't choose your own vampires.
As a downside, too many disciplinless cards would be used, so it's a kind of special occasion house rules game type.

"I like to think there always are ...possibilities." Spock
:trem: :aus: :dom: :tha:

More
19 Dec 2012 16:04 #43120 by Ohlmann

As a downside, too many disciplinless cards would be used, so it's a kind of special occasion house rules game type.

Maybe add the burn option to every discipline card ? This way, you could burn throught the wrong discipline card.

More
19 Dec 2012 16:11 #43121 by Daidalos
Or: a) draft effects would be legal in this game
b) the 12 vamps in your crypt would have to be capacity 2, 3, 4...11 + 2 of your choice - the big caps bring more discipline spread.

"I like to think there always are ...possibilities." Spock
:trem: :aus: :dom: :tha:

More
19 Dec 2012 19:12 #43132 by Jeff Kuta
There are rules somewhere for this type of random variant with a bunch of random crypt and library cards.

These instant "draft" abilities could easily be substituted for cards which don't have them:

Any Action card (including normal actions, equipment, retainers, etc) = Computer Hacking

Any Action Modifier = Change of Target

Any Reaction = Wake with Evening's Freshness

Any Combat card = Lucky Blow

Any Master or Event = Ascendance

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
19 Dec 2012 22:13 #43143 by Squidalot
That's a great idea Jeff though there may be some issues with Marcus Vitels :D

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds