file Avoiding combat

18 Jun 2011 08:48 #5295 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Avoiding combat
Obedience, Mental Maze are great.
Swallowed by the night + combat ends.
Illusions of the kindred fears nothing but Telepathic Tracking.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2011 09:04 #5297 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Avoiding combat

But basically, there's nothing wrong with just S:CE. What happens when a combat deck doesn't draw Immortal Grapple?

Also, don't rely only on those nifty untapping Majesties.

Charismatic Aura is also a S:CE but it can be used to cancel the opposing minion's strike card or grapple card. Extremely nice if you've seen the opposing combat monster's hand (Owl Companion, Sennadurek, Le Din Tho, Revelations etc) and know he's only holding one copy of Immortal Grapple.

Multiple Apparitions is sheer goodness.
If Protean is available then Flesh of Marble also rocks!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
18 Jun 2011 10:01 - 18 Jun 2011 10:02 #5298 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic Re: Avoiding combat

Around here we have, from what I understand from reading stuff online, a slightly "strange" metagame. It is -very- combat-heavy. Both intercept-combat, rush-combat, bruise-bleed etc...

I'll tell you what I did when some players in my playgroup devoted themselves to irrationally heavy combat decks.

I built a Ravnos deck using Illusions of the Kindred as combat defense and offense (the card temporarily brings out a vampire to enter combat with the opposing minion). The illusionary vampire (a Ravnos with superior Chimestry :CHI: ) maneuvered to long with Amria, and then struck for 1 unpreventable aggravated damage with Mayaparisatya, and Amaranthed any opposing vampires. Soon Mictlantecuhtli and his Talbot's Chainsaw were history, along with Enkidu and other nasty combat beasts.

Another way I have used to make the game of the combat decks around extremely miserable has been by playing a weenie Fortitude :for: deck based on the Trap + Undead Persistence combo. Poor things :)

If you keep playing this kind of decks over and over again, your metagame may change into something more reasonable :)

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2011 10:02 by Damnans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Kodanshi

More
18 Jun 2011 11:06 #5299 by bakija
Replied by bakija on topic Re: Avoiding combat

What is the optimal anti-combat tech in your opinion?

Is there any deck-type that especially excels at handling combat-decks that I could focus on in order to mess with the copious amounts of combat around here?

If your plan is to show up to a game night with decks that screw with combat, just to throw a wrench in the works, the likely optimal plans are:

-11 cap AUS/DOM minion with 30 Obediences and a bunch of Smiling Jacks. Elimelech is probably the good plan these days, as you can use some Seraph tech for fun, and as he is Sabbat, you can include Power Base: Branquilla for long term pool gain. Never take actions. Get out Elimelech. Stand there. When someone rushes you, you play Obedience. When someone tries to kill Jack, you block and play Obedience. Have a handful of Sudden Reversals to stop Pentex and someone contesting Smiling Jack.

-Plain, brown old school FOR/DOM Ventrue. Put in, like, 30 Rolling with the Punches and some Pulled Fangs. The rest of the deck is, like, Scouting Mission and Bonding for bleeds of 3 at +1 stealth.

-Weenie fortitude Trap/Undying Tenacity. They rush your 2 or 3 cap. You don't go to torpor and run them out of cards and damage them. You eventually run them over with lots of weenies.

Keep in mind that if you are expecting a lot of combat, you probably don't need a lot of pool gain or bleed defense. And your opponents probably won't have a lot of pool gain.

More
18 Jun 2011 12:11 #5300 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Avoiding combat
10 copies of Botched Move!

More
18 Jun 2011 12:56 #5303 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Avoiding combat

Charismatic Aura is also a S:CE but it can be used to cancel the opposing minion's strike card or grapple card. Extremely nice if you've seen the opposing combat monster's hand (Owl Companion, Sennadurek, Le Din Tho, Revelations etc) and know he's only holding one copy of Immortal Grapple.

Actually you can play only one Immortal Grapple each round anyway. That makes CA even better.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds