file Looking for some draft tips for a draft this Tuesday (feat. 3rd)

20 Jun 2011 14:30 #5367 by RoddimusPrime
Alright.... long story short there is a draft tomorrow night featuring 3rd edition as 3 of the 4 packs. ...

And while I have played draft before I wanted to see everyone's strategy for drafting, esp. considering the focus is 3rd edition. I know permanents such as masters and equipment can be particularly valuable as well as any wakes and bounce cards. Pool gain and action modifiers are also nice. If you have no cards that seem to help you then it is wise to deny someone else a helpful card. That seems like a general set of rules though. Is there anything particular I should consider staying away from or going for in a draft featuring 3rd? There might be a particular bad clan or under supported disciplines and thus you would stay away from that discipline mix. Or perhaps there were really good things that standout in the set.

Any general advice beyond the rules of thumb for draft and anything in particular relating to drafting 3ed will be helpful.

Who knows, perhaps the advice I get from this post will give me the knowledge I need to win!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2011 16:29 - 20 Jun 2011 16:29 #5369 by Joscha
It's always difficult to give hints for drafting, because you cannot predict how the other chaps draft and which cards they take. Exactly that is the big fun of drafting: You'll never know what comes around.
Nevertheless some tips:
Look for everything that can bleed and gives you stealth. There are some good minions who have presence and obfuscate (Lukas, Stavros). You can do a Pulse of the Canaille with PRE. And many cards give stealth to obf on draftferior.
The EC in Draft was won by Robert Fängler with a Potence-deck though. But he was lucky to be the only one drafting on potence in his draft-pot. So he got around 4 Immortal Grapples with Torn Signposts and other potencestrikes. With that he was almost unblockable to the other decks. So even combat could work out.
With Tribute to the Master available it is always another idea to go the weenie-route, maybe with some equipment/weapons. But again, that's how you see cards.
I think Tzimsce doesn't work out good. I wouldn't draft on that clan. You can play a block deck with aus, but often enough you cannot build up enough pressure on your prey.
The political actions are very strong in drafts. Consangenious Boon! Conservative Agitation. Anarchist Uprising. So having at least some title, and if it's a bishop, is worth it. If you're lucky to get some votes you could play stealth-vote.
Other cards to look at:
Dreams! Direct Intervention! Guard Dogs! Minor Irritation! King's Rising!

All the best and have fun!

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 20 Jun 2011 16:29 by Joscha.

More
20 Jun 2011 17:12 - 20 Jun 2011 17:14 #5372 by Ankha
There are a lot of vampires that have cel, pot and presence, so you should focus on theses disciplines (more than :vic: for example). They allow you to do lots of things too.
Also, always check the draft effects. And draft the vampires that have a integrated pool gain (such as Malgorzata)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 20 Jun 2011 17:14 by Ankha.

More
20 Jun 2011 21:12 #5382 by Adonai
Note about 3rd Edition:

Clans with starters have fewer different vampires in boosters than the clans that didn't get starters.

So, expect to see fewer Brujah Antitribu, Malkavian Antitribu, Tremere antitribu, and Tzimisce.

More
21 Jun 2011 02:54 #5384 by RoddimusPrime
Thanks for the responses... I will use all of the suggestions in draft tomorrow!

More
21 Jun 2011 12:02 #5392 by brandonsantacruz

Thanks for the responses... I will use all of the suggestions in draft tomorrow!

One thing that I always look out for in drafting 3rd edition is Burst of Sunlight. At draftferior, aus gives you free S:CE. If the other pack you are drafting is LotN or KoT, Leverage is +1 stealth at dom. If it is Twilight Rebellion, Haven Hunting is a rush card for anarchs at draft.

Have a good time!

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds