file Vampire for Kids!

24 Oct 2014 05:28 #66921 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Rémi, I think you're opening up a big can of worms with the addition of Library Cards (I don't think there was any Library Cards in CalibanX's idea).

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
24 Oct 2014 08:19 - 24 Oct 2014 08:20 #66927 by Rémi
Replied by Rémi on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Hello

Rémi, I think you're opening up a big can of worms with the addition of Library Cards (I don't think there was any Library Cards in CalibanX's idea).

I am only trying to reduce the size of the rule sheet. In my own experience of teaching kids to play any games, a long rule sheet means: kid stops to listen and will ask you 1000 times the sam: "And now what can I do?" I do not want to open any can but only try to fit the idea of a short list of options and using separated support to let kids enjoy using them.

I understand we can think different about that particular point, but I really wanted to explain that :whistle:

OK: Please forget the second part with the common cards pool...

Only one question: What is the point to think about "Vampire for Kids"?
If it is to show a light version of Vampire to kids and may be later show them the real game, I would say that it would be really cool to let them know from the beginning that it exists a Library and a crypt.

Regards,
Rémi.

I am Rémi Cavaillé (), Barcelona (SPAIN). I was the Prince of Lyon (France) a long time ago around 2003

Enjoy Vampire: Rivals games and many other gaming activities in Barcelona (Spain) with Association Khan Jugar:
sites.google.com/view/khanjugar/
Last edit: 24 Oct 2014 08:20 by Rémi.

More
24 Oct 2014 11:04 - 24 Oct 2014 11:05 #66931 by CalibanX
Replied by CalibanX on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Actually, I initially did work on the exact idea you mentioned Remi and tried to reduce every Discipline down to one primary card. I agree that that approach would be more fun than having a helper card listing what each of the ten different Disciplines do. The problem I ran into was finding existing cards that would be functionally balanced. Certian disciplines, of course, were easy, other's like Presence and Protean were harder.

My main interest was trying to simplify the game down it's essence. I really like the idea of having each vampire exist like allies with thier own permanent abilities. There are so many vampires in the game that have intresting discipline combinations, I really like the idea of those combinations being "ready to use" without the need to make decks where thousands of cards are needed.

I love tinkering with the game and pondering different rules alternatives.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2014 11:05 by CalibanX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
18 Dec 2014 10:14 #68239 by Rémi
Replied by Rémi on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Hey,

Have you been able to try it?

Best Regards,
Rémi.

I am Rémi Cavaillé (), Barcelona (SPAIN). I was the Prince of Lyon (France) a long time ago around 2003

Enjoy Vampire: Rivals games and many other gaming activities in Barcelona (Spain) with Association Khan Jugar:
sites.google.com/view/khanjugar/

More
01 Jan 2015 09:37 - 01 Jan 2015 09:40 #68406 by chrisn101
Replied by chrisn101 on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Happy New Year all!

I have had the opportunity to play a few card games with friends over the Christmas/New Year, and have played a relatively 'quick' game using these rules (although there was still a lot of explaining to do).

Overall I found the rules laid out by CalibanX to produce a satisfying 'lite' game (I managed to lose to the newbies!). I made notes and have a few minor suggestions to these rules.
  • State that special text is ignored.
  • State that minions taking an action taps that minion.
  • Calling the Edge vote is worth one vote itself (vote deadlock is common otherwise).
  • State clearly that moving a minion from the crypt to the unready region 'costs' four transfers, but does not cost actual pool.
  • Using Presence to reduce the bleed taps the minion (otherwise someone sends three single bleed over and one minion repeatedly spends one blood - you could explain it as the minion taps to go out to regain lost influence).

I was thinking about other disciplines as well, but it is really difficult. Necromancy, being about morgues/hospitals/eating spirits I thought could be a good hunt action enhancer (though as you have to pay a blood, basic would have to be +2, superior +3, so real gains of two blood for basic, three blood for advanced, assuming you had one blood to spend at the start and weren't blocked). Obten could cause a block to fail. Dementation as an action to tap one or two minions of another player. Serpentis to pay [two blood, basic; one blood advanced] to untap at the end of a successful action when that minion is acting (or basic is untap, advanced is +1 bleed). Quietus two blood at basic, one blood at advanced to send a minion to torpor. Would require a lot of play testing to balance this with wider minion sets.

Best wishes,

Chris.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2015 09:40 by chrisn101.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
01 Jan 2015 17:03 #68412 by CalibanX
Replied by CalibanX on topic Re: Vampire for Kids!
Ha! Glad to hear the concept didn't completely crash & burn.

Vampire is my favorite game, but I've found myself becoming more and more bothered with the collectible card game concept. Having to own ridiculous amounts of cards to play a game is something I now consider a flaw in design. I'd love to see a much more streamlined, simpler version of the game that limits itself to a minimum of cards. I've been working on new card games as I result of thinking about all of the aspects of Vampire that I like and those which I don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisn101

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds