file What was the game like for you when you started?

29 Jul 2011 05:35 #7062 by Lönkka

So I picked up this copy of The Duelist in, like, late '94 or early '95 that came with a Jyhad booster pack and an oversized Jyhad rulebook

Oh man, I've totally missed that rulebook even if our store carried all the issues of the magazine. Bummer!

VTES came out, someone online was selling Jyhad boosters for literally $5.00 a box. We ordered 13 pounds of Jyhad cards, and went nuts.

THAT is so called GOOD trade!
Damn those internet discounters; "We're losing money on every deal. But we make it up in volume!"

(as there was no limit to vote pushing--a one cap calls KRC, plays enough votes to pass the vote, repeat until the game is over).

Don't really recall running across that kind of cheese around here. heard about instances though. Kinda strange that they didn't come acorss the problems involved with this during design/playtesting.

One day, I was like "Huh. Immortal Grapple is pretty good. Everyone trade me theirs..." And they did.

Stumping S:CEs during the early days was, erm, kinda problematic as Grapples were rare during those days.

I did manage to trade a huge pile of Pulled Fangs though (those babies did 1 additional point of aggravated damage during those days). Shortly after they went and changed it for way more balanced current version of the card...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
29 Jul 2011 06:16 - 29 Jul 2011 06:17 #7067 by Joscha
In autumn '94 a friend invited me to play with his two starters of Jyhad. He sorted the cards a bit and I got Brujah and Toreador celerity cards. I absolutely ruled with my Uma Hatch carrying a Light Submachine Gun. I really liked my recruited The Knights and I was so absolutely pissed when he robbed them with an Entrancement. In those days we couldn't imagine the power of bouncing cards and as it was despised to play stealth bleed there was no need for them. We all went more for combat decks.
In the beginning we played with a four card limit. For a short time a side-deck of 10 cards was allowed to alter the decks in response to the other decks. Weird.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 29 Jul 2011 06:17 by Joscha.

More
29 Jul 2011 06:50 #7073 by Lönkka

In those days we couldn't imagine the power of bouncing cards and as it was despised to play stealth bleed there was no need for them.

Our scene used hardly any bounce but most seemed to believe in reducing the bleed instead. After all, Telepathic Counter didn't coat a thing, but bounces did.

Also people tended to use Short Term Investments rather heavily and you hardly saw any Blood Dolls.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds