file Newer Player - Are booster boxes worth the price

15 Aug 2016 20:52 #77903 by vampire1212x
Hello all,

Newer player here. I just recently got into the card form of VTES (Played Masquerade).

I am looking at a few booster boxes on eBay. I own a bunch of the classic Jyhad cards but want some of the other sets. They go anywhere from $85-300+

Are these boxes worth it for the collection sake? Or am I better off buying single cards?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 17:58 #77917 by Ashur
No, I don´t think you should buy boosters. Spending the same amount on single cards is much more worth it, especially if you go for commons, uncommons and vampires, and only the ones you absolutely need for a certain deck. Check out Melvin-Lightfoot, Orian Gissler or Rick´s Jyhad.

Maybe try go find some starters for the clans you like, and then add some single cards?

Too bad some staple cards are rather pricey these days, like Villein. Use proxys maybe.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
17 Aug 2016 06:58 #77926 by Lönkka
vampire1212x, where are you based?
In US? In Europe?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
21 Sep 2016 10:31 - 21 Sep 2016 10:34 #78466 by Bloodartist

No, I don´t think you should buy boosters. Spending the same amount on single cards is much more worth it, especially if you go for commons, uncommons and vampires, and only the ones you absolutely need for a certain deck. Check out Melvin-Lightfoot, Orian Gissler or Rick´s Jyhad.

I personally disagree. If this was magic I would absolutely agree, because in MtG approx 90% of the printed cards is constructed unusable garbage. However, VTES is bit different. It has much more usable commons and uncommons and the fact that you are not limited to a set number of a single card in a deck makes a huge difference. Buying boosters when starting from scratch actually works to certain degree in my opinion. Thats how I started out and in retrospect it was a good decision. Sure I had to acquire certain rares from dealers but the bulk of my decks came from 3rd edition boosters I bought from a local provider.

Starters are ok too, if you check their contents beforehand to make sure you get cards you actually want to play.

EDIT: If you had to order booster boxes via mail, I guess its a completely different question... Not sure if it would be worth it in regards to costs.

EDIT: depends on the set too. Some have more generally useful cards than others. Third edition is nice.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 10:34 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds