file Brazilians, How Do You Promote VTES?

20 Jul 2018 04:25 #89093 by LivesByProxy
Ben Peal recently stated that Brazil's VTES community is the largest / fastest growing one. What is your secret? How do you get new people to play this game? How do you promote VTES?

(Question also applies to European communities, since VTES has a large presence there too. Help an American get his countrymen to play this game. Share your methods!)

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2018 09:10 - 20 Jul 2018 09:23 #89099 by Snodig
I’ve whipped up a playgroup just shy of ten players (some with cards, some borrowing) in the past year.

It’s all word of mouth, mostly via colleagues or friends of the existing players. I’ve also tried my hand in local board game clubs, with mixed results (this is a good place to start though!).
Once someone seems interested I personally run through the game rules and show them a few decks.
I offer for them to buy a starter off me once they’ve tried it one session, and always keep them supplied with sleeves, counters and boxes (they pay, I procure).

Vtes is a hard sell, since it takes a sizable commitment just to play once.
I always make sure players know that.
Most that try it play a second time. A few don’t.

edit: I play in Norway, where the game went dormant around 2010.
I also recruited a personal friend who lives across the country, and he’s in turn created his own group of 5-6 players at his university.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2018 09:23 by Snodig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, LivesByProxy

More
20 Jul 2018 11:02 - 20 Jul 2018 11:17 #89104 by KzArashi
The more people see you playing, the more people will get interest in the game and will ask you to teach them.

The time I was a tournament organizer from 1998 to 2010, was like a guerrilla warfare. We at Rio de Janeiro run at last two game sessions a week on two separate places of the city. The game sessions were like small Geek/Nerd events, and all sort of people were welcome.
Because in these events you can find both RPG, Board Games, Miniature Games and so on. The diversity of people was great, so the more the possibility of people to get interested in games they don't know before.

Other major factor were that every time our group of friend went to a event, no matter if participated in the organization or not, we ever caried some deck in the bag. And we aways got some time to sit and play a little. So even more people got to see and know the game.

Other thing was to be open to talk to everyone that could ask "what game are that?"
And to give the new player his first bunch of cards. Me and some of my friends, gifted full decks to newbies begin to play, a thousand of time through the years.

A little addendum: We were not restricted to VTES. We played and were integrated to other games' and nerd/geek communities. So, the people you know in other groups are more willing to try things you present to them.
And to diversify your hobbies if more fun too.

Today we reduced the pace becouse time is more scarce as you get old. But the time we spent all this years, we made a bunch of friend all arold the coutry. And others game grooups in Brazil have similar histories.

So, '"Get people to see you playing if you want more people to play"

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 20 Jul 2018 11:17 by KzArashi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, LivesByProxy

More
20 Jul 2018 15:16 #89116 by Joo
I like to think that I have at least a very small slice of this cake by creating the blog jinvestigation.blogspot.com/ back in 2009 and now the youtube channel www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmWzSlpSrTXZEHKrME13IQ (MTG and VTES)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzArashi, LivesByProxy

More
20 Jul 2018 15:17 #89117 by DJHedgehog
A Brazilian sounds like a really big number. How did you manage to get so many players?

;)

More
20 Jul 2018 16:07 - 20 Jul 2018 19:30 #89119 by KzArashi

I like to think that I have at least a very small slice of this cake by creating the blog jinvestigation.blogspot.com/ back in 2009 and now the youtube channel www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmWzSlpSrTXZEHKrME13IQ (MTG and VTES)

Yep, João 's blog was of great help back then. And most of the Princes in Brazil maintained personal blogs and websites to his cities, before Facebook become the main hub that are today.

A place where people can check news and related topics to the game is important:
I too managed a dedicate site to VTES. The VTESBRASIL.com.br existed until 2011, when I shut it down becouse financial problems.

Today I maintain a personal blog . And from time to time I post something related to VTES. Here is a post where I talk a little about the VTES return and some of my personal experiences with the game:

kzarashi.com.br/2018/04/27/o-card-game-vampire-the-eternal-struggle-volta-a-ser-produzido/

A facebook group and page to your city VETS playground:
And as facebook is the main place brazilians chat. I do too have a personal page on facebook were I post about everything I like, including VTES. That page have more than 29000 (twenty nine thousands) likes as of now. So I believe posting there about VTES contribute in some sort to spread the game.
And most of the main cities of Brazil have his own dedicated VTES group on facebook.
Link to my facebook page: www.facebook.com/PortalDistantKingdoms/

Video is a good way to show people how VTES is fun.
I do too made video coverage of VTES tournament for some years. Sadly the majority of that got lost with my old youtube channel. But my actual channel have some of the remaining videos.
Here are the playlist of the few Videos still online where a cover some VTES' tournaments:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLctDnRNhC71dkGT4BNbYlLHY4evZXlRDu

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 20 Jul 2018 19:30 by KzArashi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivesByProxy

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds