file Time limit variant for finals

13 Nov 2018 15:00 #91827 by Orpheus
Well I have to agree about that lunge thing, I've seen it in at least the three french / belgian finals I've attended. Added time would have changed things in many cases (sometimes not the victor, surely the number of VPs !).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2018 15:38 #91847 by ReverendRevolver
Seed weight still has more weight than other factors for play style in the finals. The added time will influence lower seeds more, but the exact ways would depend on the deck.

But top seed would still be able to use the same strategy as them with some decks; lunge 2 high seed players off the board and you're golden in bleeding heavy decks, try to get the most favorable 3 way In combat walls, get the correct players to get vps in heavy vote decks...... all the while adding the allure of extra time for someone to oust you.

I guess it's at least different. Everything is hypothetical until enough results show up.

More
16 Nov 2018 19:34 #91850 by jamesatzephyr

]This is an extra incentive for ousting players during the final round. Testing will tell if it changes something or not.

Could you explain your thinking on that? An extra ten minutes is an extra ten minutes for everyone. I'm not sure it incentivizes me to get a VP if it gives everyone ten extra minutes. That may help me, it may hurt me. Early-mid-game - say I get an oust 80 minutes in to 120 (now 130) minutes - I probably can't predict that. In the dying moments - minute 119 of 120, possibly soon to be 130 - I may well be thinking "Yeah, but if I get an oust now, that probably means my predator gets to come at me again..." which might well be bad for me. It may of course mean I get a few extra minutes to oust my grand-prey (now prey) who is also teetering on the brink of being ousted, but that's not a given - it'll obviously depend on the situation.

I'm not saying the change is good or bad, but I'm not seeing the incentive here. It feels like a very mixed blessing that could hurt you just as much as help you.

More
18 Nov 2018 23:44 #91876 by angrynewb
In my opinion, what slows some finals the most, are 1 or more players trying this 1vp snipe thing at the very end.

So instead of coming up with a plan from the start to get a gamewin, they will slow down the game and try to get the vp in the last seconds to win the final.

with this rule it gets harder to do, so i am all good with it.
maybe some finalist will then try and play for the more risky gamewin instead :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Boris The Blade, lionel

More
19 Nov 2018 06:49 #91880 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Time limit variant for finals

I Think we Will try it on saturday friendly tournament before the Italian grand prix

So how did it go?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 Nov 2018 18:59 #91933 by chedcan
I will suggest it to finalists at my event on Saturday if the schedule allows it (we are already tight with the venue's hours of operation). If we end up doing it, I'll mention feedback in my tournament report.

Christian Chénard
prince of Gatineau QC, Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha, lionel

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds