file European Vacation

09 May 2019 02:15 #94838 by brandonsantacruz
Replied by brandonsantacruz on topic European Vacation
Hi Bestie,
I went back to Europe last year and went to Turkey, CZ, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, and Croatia. All great places for their own reasons. Here's a quick intro: Use Rick Steve's guides including Central Europe and some that are country specific. He has good videos on Youtube, too: www.youtube.com/user/RickSteves

All of these cities are good for walking, so bring good shoes! Pack light, like Rick says. Avoid suitcases if at all possible, just bring a backpack. Use a money belt for added confidence around areas that you might otherwise get pickpocketed. Do not buy package deals from the visitor centers anywhere, they are a ripoff.You will never be able to do all that stuff to make it worthwhile.

CZ- I was in Prague and Chezky Krumlov (sorry for bad spelling). Saw Mucha's artwork, which was a highlight. Chesky has a good museum, too. Lots of old buildings, info about soviet occupation.

I'll come back to this later, need to serve dinner.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: aubreydolls

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2019 04:03 - 09 May 2019 04:27 #94839 by brandonsantacruz
Replied by brandonsantacruz on topic European Vacation
All of these cities have interesting events going on. I actually found an English language comedy show in Prague through Facebook. Do some research and you never know what random stuff will pop up. Czech goulash with dumplings is the best, take my word for it. The Jewish Quarter is very interesting because they were able to save much of the historical stuff during the Holocaust. Very somber and informative.

Vienna, Austria of course has good museums. The Prater was a fun nighttime diversion. The metro is excellent. Trip adviser led me to a gamer bar on the other side of town that had free nachos that night. I saw Jezebelle at the opera house in the standing room section for a bargain of a few Euros. Get there very early and stake out a spot on the railing with your scarf. Don't stand behind a tall person.

Spent just two nights in Bratislava, Slovakia and happened to be there during a craft brew festival. Craft beer making is very new there and there were some snobby Austrians who punctuated the fact that they mostly like weak, plain beer there. It was cool to see Devin Castle by bus, which was originally built during the Iron Age. Napoleon blew it up because he was pissed at the Slovaks. He also left some cannonballs in the old down Bratislava walls.

Hungary is very different from everywhere else I went in Central Europe. The Magyar influence combined with the neo-fascist government keeps things interesting. The past is hotly contested here given the collusion with both the Nazis and the Soviets. New monuments are build while large sections of buildings slough away. Incongruous to say the least. The best meal I had in Europe this time I found after doing an Airbnb "experience" wine tasting with "Mikki." I had the Hungarian boar and pork will never be the same. The House of Terror was great, but try to find a time when it is not busy or you will be stuck in line in the basement forever. Played VTES here, which was fun. Could have probably timed things better and included VTES in Austria, CZ, and Croatia, too. The Grand Bazaar is good to walk through, especially for touristy stuff on the top floor or for supplies for a picnic on the bottom.

In Croatia Zagreb was cool to walk around, as was Zadar. I wasn't in Split for long enough to appreciate it and Dubrovnic is a combination of way too many tourists and locals who are tired of them. Plitzvice (sp) national park is great. Prepare for an unbelievable crowded, touristy, slow walk through a beautiful park. The sea is super salty to the point where you may not enjoy it, even if it looks great.

What to drink in these countries:
Istanbul- Raki
Cz- Beer!
Austria/Slovakia- Wine>beer
Hungary- Palinka or wine
Croatia- Wine >> Beer

That's my quick review, I hope it is helpful. Rick Steves for details. I did Airbnb all the way, except for Istanbul.Worked out.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 09 May 2019 04:27 by brandonsantacruz.

More
10 May 2019 09:55 #94853 by blackkn8
Replied by blackkn8 on topic European Vacation
If you will be in Germany,
it's good to know where exactly. Because the German community has just a few hot spots. But maybe we can offer you some idea.
Let us know where you will be and left a note here:
www.vekn.de

Prince of Wiesbaden, Germany
File Attachment:

More
13 May 2019 20:49 #94879 by aubreydolls
Replied by aubreydolls on topic European Vacation
how cool when you have the opportunity to travel!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds