question-circle Withering and first strike

13 Apr 2012 05:22 #27781 by Steinar
Hi!
If I play withering with first strike, is the opposing minion then able to play a strike that requires a discipline?

Name: Withering
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Thanatosis/Animalism
[ani] Strike: 1R damage.
[thn] Strike: hand strike. Place this card on the opposing minion. The minion with this card has -1 strength. Burn this card during his or her controller's next discard phase.
[THN] As [thn] above, and the minion with this card cannot play cards that require any Disciplines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2012 05:24 - 13 Apr 2012 05:25 #27782 by Klaital
Yes since strikes are declared simultaneously, even if yours resolves first, the opposing minion has already played his strike at that point. They will be affected by the -1 strength when their strike resolves however.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 05:25 by Klaital.

More
13 Apr 2012 08:55 - 13 Apr 2012 11:48 #27798 by Pascal Bertrand

Hi!
If I play withering with first strike, is the opposing minion then able to play a strike that requires a discipline?

Yes.
When Withering is declared ( CRR VI.C.1 ), the opposing minion can still play discipline cards and doesn't yet get -1 strength [LSJ 20020211] .
When strikes resolve, the opposing minion gets -1 strength and can't play discipline cards anymore (for instance, they couldn't play Soak). But if that opponent declared a handstrike with 1 strength as their strike, the strike still resolves as 1 damage if Withering isn't with First Strike. If Withering is with First Strike, the opponent's strike is at -1 strength.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 11:48 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
13 Apr 2012 09:46 #27801 by Reyda

When strikes resolve, the opposing minion gets -1 strength and can't play discipline cards anymore (for instance, they couldn't play Soak). But if that opponent declared a handstrike with 1 strength as their strike, the strike still resolves as 1 damage.

you must be mistaken my friend : if withering is played at first strike, the opponent gets the card placed on him before his strike resolves.
If his strike was "hands for one", it means "strength damage", not "one damage". So the incoming hands strike would resolve as a hands for 0 damage strike...

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
13 Apr 2012 11:46 - 13 Apr 2012 11:47 #27811 by Pascal Bertrand

When strikes resolve, the opposing minion gets -1 strength and can't play discipline cards anymore (for instance, they couldn't play Soak). But if that opponent declared a handstrike with 1 strength as their strike, the strike still resolves as 1 damage.

you must be mistaken my friend : if withering is played at first strike, the opponent gets the card placed on him before his strike resolves.
If his strike was "hands for one", it means "strength damage", not "one damage". So the incoming hands strike would resolve as a hands for 0 damage strike...

Blast, I skipped the "first strike" part.
If Withering is used with First Strike, it resolves before the opposing minion's strike, and thus, the opposing minion's strike is at -1 strength.
Thanks !
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 11:47 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
13 Apr 2012 12:02 #27813 by Ohlmann
This ruling is a bit illogical for me. I explain.

I play an aid from the bat, but my opponent play Immortal grapple. At strike resolution, I can't play the Aid, so I have no strike.

I play an aid from the bat, but my opponent play Withering strike with first strike. At strike resolution, my Aid from the bat is resolved anyway.

In a pure logical sense, I must admit having an hard time to see this as making sense. (also, it screw further first strike, which is already not the sexiest effect on earth)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds