file "As Played" Window Ruling Contradictions?

02 Aug 2012 11:42 #34169 by Izaak

Since the rulebook explains its existence in very small words, yes, it's the fault of people not reading the rulebook if they don't know about it.

That's not how it works in the real world. If the vast majority of the players don't know the inner workings of a very specific and unnecessary rule, it's the fault of the rule being shit, obscure or just generally unrequired. Or a combination of those.

Not that of the players.

That said, we don't need a "inbetween as played and replace" window because all it does is make the game worse and less enjoyable while fixing exactly zero problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2012 11:52 #34170 by jamesatzephyr

That's not how it works in the real world. If the vast majority of the players don't know the inner workings of a very specific and unnecessary rule, it's the fault of the rule being shit, obscure or just generally unrequired. Or a combination of those.

There aren't any inner workings. It's right there in the rulebook. Play, cancel, replace. No inner workings. Play, cancel, replace. It's that simple.

To know the rules of a game, you actually have to read them. It really is that simple. For people for whom that is too hard, no amount of change will help - they'll never know, because they don't read them.

That said, we don't need a "inbetween as played and replace" window because all it does is make the game worse and less enjoyable while fixing exactly zero problems.

The problem that it addresses has already been explained. That you don't agree with it doesn't mean that other people don't view it as a problem, and one that warranted fixing.

The problem of card cancellation slowing the game down is already embedded (and has been since Jyhad, given Sudden Reversal, at least - DI obviously made it a bit more annoying). Slowing the game down at every card play is annoying, and can lead to all sorts of friction - particularly when close to a time limit.

The more effects you can stuff into the cancellation window, the more annoying it is, and the more it can be dragged out. So the solution chosen was to limit it to cancels and wakes, and no replacements.

You may not have viewed it as a problem. Other people did. You may have chosen a different solution, but that does not mean that this solution doesn't address a specific problem - that of timely game flow, rather than tapping the Barrens, then Dreams, then... before deciding you can't cancel a card.

Simply beating your chest about a player's right to refuse to read the rulebook because words are hard, and to deny the existence of problems that other people had (which is why the issues came up), is just weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ohlmann

More
02 Aug 2012 12:20 - 02 Aug 2012 12:27 #34173 by er-principe

I'm not pretending, i've pointed where the contradiction is and motivated
long enough why it is so: one instantaneous effect is allowed other it is not

Your problem is that you are crowbaring Magic into V:TES again.

It is not an instantaneous effect that is being allowed. Wakes and cancels are allowed, specifically. It has nothing to do with them being "instantaneous", or "instant", or "interrupt", or "immediate" effects. These don't exist in V:TES. It's just a specific rule. Play, cancel (plus wake), replace.

I really don't know if you even ackowledge the fact that the very esistence of cards such as direct intervention indeed point as false your statement
that there are no "magic like" istantaneous or interrupt effect in vtes (plain simple as such cards actually intantaneously *do* interrupt the play and effect of some other cards and *are* actually resolved *first* even if
they're played last (after))
So call them whatever you want ("instants".. "groups of card allowed to be played interrupting other cards play-resolve"..."whatever"), but they're resolved as instant, the effect is the same and the convolutions implied in such rulings decision at the time (of allowing just wake intant effect along with cards cancelers and no other in the given window) much the same
I know now by a bad rule that wake and similar "can play as if untapped" effect were allowed in the instant/interrupt part of the "as announced" window, and indeed i find that a poor rule and also contradincting with the other rule that forbids other effect to be played in the same window
That's all

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 12:27 by er-principe.

More
02 Aug 2012 12:58 #34177 by Ankha
@James: I can't press the Thanks button on each of your post, but I agree with all your points. (and I like very much your prose.)

Since the rulebook explains its existence in very small words, yes, it's the fault of people not reading the rulebook if they don't know about it.

No, it's because most of them are old players that read the rules 15 years ago, play within themselves with house rules or were taught the rules by someone who was already wrong.
We have "young" players in our playgroups, and they know the rules.

I'm not even talking about card rulings... Why is it so hard to follow the written rules (even if you find them crappy for whatever reason)?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
02 Aug 2012 13:31 #34182 by Izaak

No, it's because most of them are old players that read the rules 15 years ago, play within themselves with house rules or were taught the rules by someone who was already wrong.
We have "young" players in our playgroups, and they know the rules.

*I* know the rules.

And I don't want to go explain Joe Casual this rule at a tournament because he replaced his Vessel before telling which Blood Doll he wanted to burn and his potential target is being obnoxious about it.

I don't want to have to explain why you *can* cycle a Wake to fish for a Telepathic Misdirection, but you *cannot* cycle a Wake to fish for a Touch of Clarity.

Why not? Because it doesn't make sense. And both are a result of a ruling invented to prevent DI-fishing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
02 Aug 2012 13:35 #34183 by mirddes
DI-fishing?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds