file Khazar Contest?

11 Jan 2013 19:04 #43961 by Malcolm Sprye
So, I believe that the answer to this question is yes, but I thought I'd check before I tried to make a deck around it.

If you bring a vampire from someone's ash heap with Khazar as a wraith, will it contest with a "live" version already in play?

The wording on Khazar says you may put a minion from an ash heap in play representing a wraith with X stats. It says nothing about non-unique. So I assume that, like Spell of Life, it would contest?

Basically, I'm thinking about trying to make a Khazar deck that burns cards from the crypt/uncontrolled of other players, to allow you to contest key blockers as a sort of "super pentex".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 19:20 - 11 Jan 2013 19:23 #43962 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Khazar Contest?
Don't forget to put the cardtext.

Khazar's Diary (Endless Night)

Action

Require Giovanni

+1 stealth action.
Put the Diary in play, or add a counter to one in play. When a unique minion in play is burned, add another counter. While this card has seven or more counters, Giovanni get [NEC] and may take a +1 stealth action to put a minion from any ash heap into play to represent a wraith ally with 2 life, 0 strength, 1 bleed and +1 stealth.

And the response :

I have Khazar's Diary up to 7 or more counters. I make a Vagabond
Mystic in my ash heap into a wraith. I then make a different Vagabond
Mystic in my ash heap into a wraith. Do they contest? I think they do
not contest. Shorb thinks they might.

Would it matter if one of them was a real Vagabond Mystic in play when
I try to put a Vagabond Mystic into play as a wraith? I think they do
not contest. I didn't ask Shorb about this one. ;)

The wraith from Endless Night has no name and is not unique. He cannot contest anything.

(from newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/2008-06/msg00510.html)

So, no, they don't contest.

(why Spell of life reanimated vampires as mummy ally contest with a similar wording, I don't know)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 19:23 by Ohlmann.

More
11 Jan 2013 19:43 #43964 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: Khazar Contest?

(why Spell of life reanimated vampires as mummy ally contest with a similar wording, I don't know)

I think it's because of the "Unique" word in Spell of Life... ;)

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

More
11 Jan 2013 21:28 - 11 Jan 2013 21:30 #43967 by Malcolm Sprye
Replied by Malcolm Sprye on topic Re: Khazar Contest?
The "Unique" in Spell of Life would cause even 2 mummies to contest with each other (if they had the same name).

My question, I suppose, centers around the wording on the Contesting rule:
If more than one unique card with the same name is brought into play , that means control of the card is being contested.

(I've broken the sentence up into its components)
It's not very well worded. As written it could even be read that the triggering event is "more than one" vampire coming into play (i.e. they would both need to be coming out at once. This is impossible, since you're not allowed to self-contest)

I assume that you're correct, though, and it wouldn't contest. Sad. It would have been janky fun to try to make it work (getting vampires in the ash heap isn't easy)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 21:30 by Malcolm Sprye.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds