file soak vs treat agg damage as normal damage

27 Mar 2013 01:56 #46279 by TorranceCircle
If I play a card that says treat agg damage as normal damage can soak prevent it?

Soak
Combat
Fortitude
A vampire may play only one Soak each round.
Prevent 2 non-aggravated damage.
Prevent 4 non-aggravated damage.

as an an example soak vs outferior ignore the searing flames.

Ignore the Searing Flames
Combat
:ser: This vampire treats all aggravated damage from the opposing minion's strike as normal damage. Only usable when the opposing minion inflicts aggravated damage on this vampire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2013 04:20 #46280 by ReverendRevolver
Not 100% on this, but i believe the vampire treats it as normal, not other cards. Meaning soak still sees agg as agg.
Basically, i think when the cards that "converted" agg to normal were changed, this concept was locked in. If you change agg to normal, it becomes non-aggravated, and can be soaked. As is, gotsdam gets shot with a flamethrower and its just like a .44 hitting him, except the .44 he could soak, whereas soak explicitly forbids the flamethrower from being prevented the same way.

Im not sure if any cards still say "convert" or "change" though in regards to agg. So, soaking agg with itsf is a no, but maybe keeping drink the blood of ahrimane is viable after taking a body flare if you could convert it or reduce it to zero(as those arent nescisarily "preventing" effects). Same for the lasombra demon or nephran-ka's preventing non agg.

Hope ive helped.

More
27 Mar 2013 06:18 #46284 by Ankha

If I play a card that says treat agg damage as normal damage can soak prevent it?

No. The damage is still aggravated, even though the vampire handles ("treats") the aggravated damage like it were normal damage.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
27 Mar 2013 06:47 - 27 Mar 2013 06:48 #46285 by Pascal Bertrand
Correct answers from Ankha and ReverendRevolver. Aggravated damage, would it be treated as normal or not, remains aggravated damage, and can't be prevented by cards such as Soak.

@ReverendRevolver: The last four cards that "changed" aggravated damage to normal (Merril Mollitor, Adaptability, Death Pact, Fire Dance) were changed to have the damage "treated as normal" instead, in 2011.

[EDIT: Can someone move this thread to the Rules section?]
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 06:48 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds