file Unusual Damage Prevention phases

28 Mar 2013 13:31 #46348 by erewego
So in normal combat, Player A (acting) plays a strike (assuming does damage), then player B. Then there is a phase for Player A to prevent, then Player B.

So why is the ruling different for other phases?
(Note I can't find the ruling, but i only know what I have been told)

The most obvious example is the Outside the Hourglass + Domain of Evernight combo.

Player A players Outside the Hourglass + Domain of Evernight, why is there no window for Player B to play pre-range stuff (if just to cycle).

For non-strike phases, its Player A (acting) plays card (causes damage), Player B plays prevent (ex: skin of rock), then player B can play pre-range.

I know it works this way because of the old example of Weather Control against a minion with zero blood. Minion with Zero blood had no window to play pre-range cards.

So I guess my question is if someone could explain the WHY and maybe post the link explaining it.

Thanks.
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 13:36 #46349 by Ohlmann
Well, strike are simultaneous. Pre-range stuff aren't.

That's why you can resolve your strike before soaking the damage, but not play a Carrion before preventing the Outside.

More
28 Mar 2013 13:57 #46353 by Ankha

So in normal combat, Player A (acting) plays a strike (assuming does damage), then player B. Then there is a phase for Player A to prevent, then Player B.

Yes, per rulebook.

? Because it's a different phase? See rulebook.

The most obvious example is the Outside the Hourglass + Domain of Evernight combo.

I can't see how this combo is involved. Do you mean the handling of damage from Outside the Hourglass?

Player A players Outside the Hourglass + Domain of Evernight, why is there no window for Player B to play pre-range stuff (if just to cycle).

Player B can play any "before range" card he wishes, including some prevent. And it has nothing to do with Domain of Evernight.

For non-strike phases, its Player A (acting) plays card (causes damage), Player B plays prevent (ex: skin of rock), then player B can play pre-range.

I don't understand your sentence.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
28 Mar 2013 14:40 #46354 by Ohlmann

Player B can play any "before range" card he wishes, including some prevent. And it has nothing to do with Domain of Evernight.

Let's use an example
* My opponent act. I block, he play Domain of Evernight at inferior temporis.
* pre-range : my opponent play superior Outside the Hourglasse. I have two damage

If I understand well what you say, I can then play a superior Outside the hourglasse myself before resolving the damage. If my opponent have no prevention, the combat will end before I resolve my own damage, leading me to be able to play Pulled Fang, as well as soaking damage outside of the combat.

My understanding before your post is that the only thing you could play before resolving the aggravated damage was prevention card, because you cannot leave damage on a stack and play others effects.

More
28 Mar 2013 14:46 - 28 Mar 2013 14:57 #46355 by Pascal Bertrand

I know it works this way because of the old example of Weather Control against a minion with zero blood. Minion with Zero blood had no window to play pre-range cards.

So I guess my question is if someone could explain the WHY and maybe post the link explaining it.

Thanks.
Adam

I'll give longer explanations this evening, but this topic has already been discussed here: groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/Itzely9s_pc/nod73eVyna4J
(please note that LSJ reverted a few answers before giving this one).

EDIT: Short version: If acting plays Outside the Hourglass, reacting can play Torn Signpost before dealing with the damage.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 14:57 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
28 Mar 2013 15:02 #46356 by Ankha

Let's use an example
* My opponent act. I block, he play Domain of Evernight at inferior temporis.
* pre-range : my opponent play superior Outside the Hourglasse. I have two damage

If I understand well what you say, I can then play a superior Outside the hourglasse myself before resolving the damage.

Yes.

If my opponent have no prevention, the combat will end before I resolve my own damage

No. All "pending" damage must be resolved.

My understanding before your post is that the only thing you could play before resolving the aggravated damage was prevention card, because you cannot leave damage on a stack and play others effects.

No, you're not restricted to damage-related cards, see Floppy's answer.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds